RedHotFuzz

[Fixed] Print dimensions not accurate?

Hi, new Affinity user here.  Loving it so far!  I'm trying to use the app right now as a pseudo-CAD solution in designing a badge for laser cutting (stainless steel).  The cutting shop will take EPS files so I'm good to go with formatting.  The issue I'm having is with the accuracy of the dimensions.  If I create a 1-inch reference box in Affinity and print it, the actual measurement on paper is about 15/16".  That's obviously a problem when you're using your design to create something physical (print, laser-cut steel, whatever).

What am I doing wrong?  Is my printer not giving me a 100% accurate rendition of the drawing or is this something I'm doing wrong on the Affinity side?

Oh, and BTW, the lack of DPI support in Sketch is what drove me to Affinity.  I've been waiting for an app like this for a long time (since Vector Designer and others met an early demise and Intaglio still lives but seems stuck in the last century...).

Affinity Team,

After an untold number of attempts to simply create a 5" rectangle and get it to print out within AD at exactly 5 inches on paper with Document settings @ 300 dpi I have given up. The measurements are exact according to the “Transform” fields.

The only way I have been able to print out an accurate, on paper, sizing is to export the drawing as a PDF, open it with “Preview” and print it from there.

Are RedHotFuzz and I the only ones out there with this problem?

Max

OS X 10.9.5, 24" iMac, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB, 1 Terabyte hard drive.

Mac User since 1985. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

I can report that I have tried printing directly from AD and I was NOT able to get an exact output. 

I tried something similar to Max....I made a simple 5" square.  When printing that straight out of AD onto a standard (US) letter size sheet of paper (that's 8.5" x 11"), the 5" printed out as only 4 9/16" ( a little over 4.5").  

I ran into an additional problem.  That square I made wasn't exactly square, as it was 5" width and 5.01" height.  When I tried to edit that height size in the Transform window AD would not let me edit that amount. When I tried selecting the "1" and tried to replace that with "0", both the W and H fields went to "0" and the square I had drawn disappeared.  I did COMMAND + Z to undo the size change so that the square re-appeared. 

So, I saved the file with the 5 x 5.01 shape and quit AD.  Afterwards, I opened that file back up and tried editing again.  This time, AD let me edit the numbers in the H field and I was then able to have a true 5" x 5" square shape. 

However, the problem with the print size accuracy still remains.  A 5" size does not directly print out from AD as 5" on paper.  

I tried making a PDF file and printing that.  Printing from Adobe Acrobat X Pro (Ver. 10.1.12) yielded the correct 5" x 5" print size.  Printing the PDF file from Preview yielded a slightly smaller size.... 4 15/16" x 4 15/16". 

My tech details:  using AD 1.1.0 on a 17" MacBook Pro (late 2011) with 16 GB of RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor.  Printing to an HP LaserJet 400 Color M451dn printer. 

This really needs to be fixed ASAP!  

- David   

Glad to hear it's not just me.  Hopefully this issue will get some rapid attention from the developer?  It should go without saying that accurate printing is critical for an illustration program.  If this doesn't get fixed, I just wasted my $$$.   :(

I'm posting this issue to the Bugs forum.

It looks like we are scaling to a smaller safe printable bounds but it's just wrong. We will get this fixed for the beta next week.

Now that's customer support!  Thanks Tony.  Looks like I didn't waste my $$$ after all.   :)

I would say give them benefit of the doubt and report issue.

Software is in it's infancy and needs users to report issues so they can fix it.

I see a lack of many profesional features, but I am willing to be patient and work with a team to get this promising software at the level it can be, to compete with Adobe.

Hi,

We've got this fixed :) It will be in the beta we release, probably on Tuesday.

Thanks,

AndyS

Wow, that was quick.  Any estimation on when it will show up in a new update in the App Store?

Wow, that was quick.  Any estimation on when it will show up in a new update in the App Store?

You will be able to download the beta from the forums next week but if you want to wait for the App Store version it usually takes 7-10 days.

Even if I export to a PNG and print I don't get an accurate size.  Hopefully your fix corrected that too.

Different problem but yes that's also fixed.

Team,

As with all minor bugs once the problem is discovered it is usually not that hard to fix. Thanks for listening.

I also do “Paper Templates” that ‘must’ be the exact size drawn so having exact output size becomes critical.

If you think doubt it version 1.0 of Illustrator wasn’t even close to what you guys have put together in Affinity Designer and I have every confidence that in short order you will pass them like they are standing still. I do think the team at Adobe are shaking in their boots, and for very good reason. The next 20+ years belongs to you guys.

Max

OS X 10.9.5, 24" iMac, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB, 1 Terabyte hard drive.

Mac User since 1985. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

I have the same issue with TIFF files - file saved in 300DPI say 200x100cm is in fact completely different at 72DPI when I open it in photoshop.

www.cgartists.eu

I have the same issue with TIFF files - file saved in 300DPI say 200x100cm is in fact completely different at 72DPI when I open it in photoshop.

The DPI issue is something that has been logged so will hopefully be sorted in the near future

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com