You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Buggy picture frame scaling when replacing files in Publisher

vixm

Hi,

I'm using the latest release version of Publisher on mac OS 12.6.2. Hardware acceleration is turned on. I've tested with a new document, as well as quitting the app, restarting, then opening a new document.

When I set a picture frame's scaling to "None", that setting isn't honored when using "Replace File" or when dragging a new file into the picture frame. Instead, it does a min fit based on the bounding box of the outgoing file for some reason.

Example: I create a 1x1" picture frame with scaling set to "none" and drag a 2x1.25" file into it. The central 1x1" area shows. I drag a 2x2" file into the same picture frame, expecting its central 1x1" to show, but it's placed at 1.25x1.25" (62.5% scale), showing more than its central 1x1" area. It's being min fit into the 2x1.25" bounding box of the previous file.

If I drag the 2x1.25" file back into the frame, it's now min fit to the 1.25" width of the outgoing file, and its height becomes 0.781". If I keep repeating this process, the area used for the file within the frame gets progressively smaller. I've attached test files to recreate the issue with.

The "none" scaling setting works as expected (place the file at its native size and crop to the frame) when the frame is empty (either the placed file was deleted or the frame is newly created), so I'm not sure why the replace behavior is different.

It feels like there's an invisible container between the outgoing file and the frame, and the incoming file is being min fit to that? If there is, the constraints for the file aren't editable, so there's no way to control that.

I can get most of the desired behavior by placing a file, masking it with a rectangle, and disabling all constraints on the file, but then I lose the drag and drop functionality of frames.

Hope this can get fixed. Thanks!

2x2.pdf 2x125.pdf

I've duplicated this issue with 2.0.3 on macOS Ventura. I agree it's a bug that should be fixed.

• Frames with and without pictures in them set to Max, Min, or Scaled, will give the same results when the picture is replaced
  • But you'll get different results when placing a picture in from frames with and without pictures in them if None scaling is used - I believe the x/y/w/h of the previous picture is used for the new picture

A second issue is that if you draw two identical picture frames and set one to max and one to none. import the same picture in both. I'd expect that if I change the max frame to none that they would look the same - they won't, nothing changes in the max frame. Changing between max, min, and scaled all works as expected but none only seems to work on the first placement of the first picture.

This isn't new in v2, I get the same results in v1.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...