You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need some help on restoring this image, It is the only image I have of him, a close relative.

please find my version attached.

the source image is really poor. It is more re-inventing the image, or using painterly tools.

There are some AI-based image restoration services (mostly paid) available who might provide faster & better looking results.

Was the image B&W or color?

photo restauration.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

47 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

please find my version attached.

the source image is really poor. It is more re-inventing the image, or using painterly tools.

There are some AI-based image restoration services (mostly paid) available who might provide faster & better looking results.

Was the image B&W or color?

photo restauration.afphoto 2.42 MB · 1 download

The original image was black and white. I am attaching a full image which I have. I only posted the face because I thought it was tougher to restore it.  I have trying to restore it for long time and had even asked earlier in a forum. But I want a really good way of restoring it, so that I can print out a big sized photo. I have tried Denise etc. but it doesn't repair the damages. and I didn't want the face to change. Also I don't mind the sepia tone, I think that gives it a more authentic look. I don't mind spending a lot of time on the restoration, if I know the exact procedure.

Pallath Raman -)riginal -1.jpg

vanceai.com does a good job to start this. You can touch up the rest later

vanceai.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

The process is not totally determined, but in essence it will be several iterations using certain "modules":

• Restoring colors (or re-inventing colors)
  • restoring body / cloth
  • restoring face
    • Restoring glasses
    • restoring noise
    • restoring mouth

To restore damaged structures (patterns, textures) use inpainting, patch tool in non-destructive way. This allows to delete over-corrections.

Th image looks B/W, degraded to sepia. I would convert to full B/W, and re-color later to either sepia or faked colors (hue 30 for skin, black for hair and glasses, hue 300-330 for lips etc.

The AI tool is a good bases, but I would pre-process the source image to adjust the skin color in the nose area, and the lips - I think they are closed, no teeth visible, AI got it wrong, similar I would inpatient some defects to avoid getting false structures like at the ear and in the face.

I restored hundreds of scanned images, it really helps if you know (from memory or other sources) the actual colors and other details, like the nose shape, to restore them as natural as possible. AI simply generates "average" structures, learned from training data, and may produce totally false details for your specific image. E.g. the glass in the right side is smaller than the left side, very unrealistic. Never the less, you can combine this. The 2x upscaling of AI helps, too.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thank you for the full image, it makes it much easier to restore.

The the basic process gets much simpler:

1. frequency separation
  2. adjust color defects above low frequency, below high frequency using multiple vector patches, blend modes etc
  3. correct nose area by blur filter applied to HF layer
  4. add lots of inpainting to eliminate jpeg compression artifacts
  5. add curves in sampled colors to restore glasses / frame

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 13.36.35.png

photo restauration 2.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault

I am really grateful for all the helpful comments. Yes, about AI that is what I was afraid of. It may change the original features , which I don't want. Unfortunately, I dont know the original colours of the photo. I do have another photo which can give the idea of the nose shape etc. The Vanceal image  looks good but it is not authentic, Yes I also agree about the spectacle size.

With all the inputs I will try my hand again.

Thank you all again for the help.

hello, this is my try.

I've straighted the picture

Here is what i've tried to do : for the backround, i remove it and replace it, it was easier.

then use different tools : inpainting, clone brush, restore brush

Use some adjustment too, you will e in the afbrushes files.

restored.thumb.jpg.08e1e67a4d08c59e554701ef8ff40757.jpg

image à restaurer 2.afphoto

Newbie - beta tester

• Ordinateur 1 : i7 7700K - 16 Go RAM -GC : Nvida 1060 6 Go - OS : Windows 10 Pro
  • Ordinateur 2 : i5-10210U - 16 Go RAM - INTEL UHD graphics - OS : Windows 11 Pro
  • Software : Suite affinity V2.1

Thanks. You have done a very good job. Have you used the pen tool to select the background. The dress is actually of one color. Faded white or off white. The image can now be easily sharpened. I thought the frequency seperation methos is good for cleaning up the image.

8 hours ago, vpkumar said:

Thanks. You have done a very good job. Have you used the pen tool to select the background. The dress is actually of one color. Faded white or off white. The image can now be easily sharpened. I thought the frequency seperation methos is good for cleaning up the image.

thank's . yes I've used the pen tool select,   then put a mask.

Newbie - beta tester

• Ordinateur 1 : i7 7700K - 16 Go RAM -GC : Nvida 1060 6 Go - OS : Windows 10 Pro
  • Ordinateur 2 : i5-10210U - 16 Go RAM - INTEL UHD graphics - OS : Windows 11 Pro
  • Software : Suite affinity V2.1