You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Halftone filter options

Hello there, 

with the halftone filter screen mode selected as 'circle', the bands radiate from the centre of the canvas, is there any way to move this off centre? with some filters you can click drag to re-locate the origin point of the filter, but not here it seems... unless I'm going mad?

on another note, are there any more creative / artistic filters planned for the V2 apps? 

• 2 weeks later...

I made a procedural texture filter which emulates the circular halftone filter when combined with a gaussian blur. It is no 1:1 replacement, but looks similar.

While the PT layer is selected in the layer stack, you can drag-move into the canvas to set the centre point.

Copy the group into your document, or replace the image in my attached document.

1476309721_Screenshot2023-01-14at23_06_05.thumb.png.e03d439e6fa4985cdea7e74145347a63.png

PT halftone replacement.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, Lisbon said:

It looks like a fifth channel. Any idea what that is?

It's a redundant non-functional button because there are only 4 channels (R,G,B,A) in your document. Version 1 had the same 5 channel buttons, but the buttons that were redundant for a given document colour format weren't so distinctively shaded.

2 hours ago, Lisbon said:

Interesting @NotMyFault.

I was looking at your screenshot and noticed that they changed the interface in version 2.

PT.jpg.c52873e51438e0938d8334b2c7f63c7a.jpg

It looks like a fifth channel. Any idea what that is?

It's a reserved spot for K in case of CMYK. Unfortunately reading M channel is currently broken in V2.0.3 (you can't read the M channel, but output new values to it)

635620435_Screenshot2023-01-15at15_40_45.png.ccf564921d5d3ed6cf40920df282f52e.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

19 minutes ago, ,,, said:

It's a redundant non-functional button because there are only 4 channels (R,G,B,A) in your document.

19 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

It's a reserved spot for K in case of CMYK.

I see.
With the same user interface they just change the letters. Clever!

20 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Unfortunately reading M channel is currently broken in V2.0.3 (you can't read the M channel, but output new values to it)

In v1 i think there is also a problem but with the K channel.

Thank you both.

1 hour ago, Lisbon said:

n v1 i think there is also a problem but with the K channel.

Thank you both.

yeah, this was totally disappointing for me. After testing V2 I was happy K was working again, only to learn M stopped working. I hope Patrick is not readings this or taking it personal. The QA of Affinity has quite a bit room for improvement. It seems they never do regression tests. Or do any tests at all. The rate of collateral damage is beyond reasonable limits. Fixing the bug of negative radius which lead to crash for defringe filter, only to introduce the same bug it on iPad for almost all other filters. It seems James Ritson is the only one (from Serif staff) who is really using the apps, when he creates tutorials.