You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing the colour of a fill layer is not possible with all tools

The colour of a fill layer can only be changed if certain tools are selected. For all others, the colour remains unchanged.
It works for example with the "Gradient Tool", the selection tools or "Remove Blemishes". It does not work with, for example, the "Paint Brush", "Clone" or "Repair Brush".

This also applies to V1.

I think it's by design, not a bug.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Yes, by design.

When a raster brush tool is active, colour controls affect the paint that will be applied to a raster object (Pixel or Mask or built-in mask of a Fill/Adjustment/Filter).

When another type of tool is active, colour controls affect the fill/stroke of selected non-raster objects - a Fill is a non-raster object with fill, no bounds and a built-in mask.

13 hours ago, ,,, said:

When a raster brush tool is active, colour controls affect the paint that will be applied to a raster object (Pixel or Mask or built-in mask of a Fill/Adjustment/Filter).
When another type of tool is active, colour controls affect the fill/stroke of selected non-raster objects - a Fill is a non-raster object with fill, no bounds and a built-in mask.

That is already clear. But if a tool is active, that does not necessarily mean that I want to work on a fill level with it.
It may be that I am painting in another layer ("painting brush"). If I now switch briefly to the fill layer to change the colour, this does not work. It is annoying that in these cases I always have to select another tool before I can do this.

I am not sure if this coupling is absolutely necessary.

53 minutes ago, Michail said:

I am not sure if this coupling is absolutely necessary.

I think it is.

If you have the Brush selected, how is the application supposed to know that you don't intend to keep painting, and instead want to adjust the parameters of the Fill layer? Either scenario is possible, so it picks the more likely one: with a brush you're going to paint.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

If you have the Brush selected, how is the application supposed to know that you don't intend to keep painting, and instead want to adjust the parameters of the Fill layer? Either scenario is possible, so it picks the more likely one: with a brush you're going to paint.

What difference does it make?! I can't paint in a fill layer anyway!

16 minutes ago, Michail said:

What difference does it make?! I can't paint in a fill layer anyway!

You can. This is one of the most misunderstood features. For all adjustment layers, filters, and the fill layer, you can use the brush tool to paint on the inherent mask of that layer types. I dont get the details, but i assume there was some change between V1 and V2 wrt to fill and colors / brushes. 

And depending on Assistent settings, Photo will happily create a new pixel layer if you start painting in case no layer exists.

But i agree i personally don‘t like the inherent mask of fill layers based on it‘s high potential for confusion.

Even more l dislike how color panels work (there are so many in different places to be found), the UI is relaly confusing wrt foreground / background / stoke / fill colors, fill tool and gradients, swatches, dependency to selected tool and/or layer, opacity vs. noise toggle, color vs. layer vs. fill opacity etc

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

19 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

You can. This is one of the most misunderstood features. For all adjustment layers, filters, and the fill layer, you can use the brush tool to paint on the inherent mask of that layer types.

Unlike you, I actually like the principle of integrated masks. What I meant was not masking, but painting with colours, which logically cannot work on a fill layer. Colours are interpreted as greyscales in a mask.

I am still not convinced that this coupling is necessary. However, there is one point that could be the reason for the coupling:
When you change the colour of a fill layer, you change the primary colour of the colour selectors at the same time. This therefore changes one of the two mask grey values. I have to think about how to get around this.

The tool coupling mentioned above will probably not change. I now use the "H" key to switch back and forth.

19 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Even more l dislike how color panels work (there are so many in different places to be found), the UI is relaly confusing wrt foreground / background / stoke / fill colors, fill tool and gradients, swatches, dependency to selected tool and/or layer, opacity vs. noise toggle, color vs. layer vs. fill opacity etc

I agree with you about the use of colours. It is a bit confusing at times. For example, the adoption of the colour model when recording a colour as a colour field is a bit puzzling.

22 minutes ago, Michail said:

Unlike you, I actually like the principle of integrated masks

A small misunderstanding here. I like inherent masks for adjustment and filter layers as well, only in the specific case of fill layers it gets too complex distinguishing between setting fill color and brush color - which is probably the reason why you started this thread?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 3 weeks later...