You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to enlarge my image that has been worked on in affinity and saved as a tiff at 20cm x 20cm. Can this image be enlarged to 100cm x 100cm without losing any quality? When I view the image larger on screen it looks as if it is now showing the pixels that I do not want. should I have worked on the image at the high res all along, which is difficult due to its size?

Rrŕ

Hello @enlarging image, and welcome to the forums.

You say your image is 20cm by 20cm, but how many pixels is that? What kind of an image is it? Photographic or diagram? What enlarging algorithm did you use?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

When you say Affinity, which app is meant (Affinity Photo)? - And what is image here in this context, is it a bitmap/raster/photo image or a vector drawn image?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, enlarging image said:

I have Affinity photo 1.10.5 on a MacBook Air.  The image is 2390 x 3425px at 300 DPI , Bilinear at 20.24 x 29cm tiff.

Well, so you seem to use a TIFF bitmap photo in APh. - However keep in mind that when upscaling/resampling a fixed size bitmap photo, that it usually will never get any "better", cause all available pixel information is already within the file. And an algorithmic upscaling/resampling is just creating more of the same available pixels here and so the whole depends thus on the image pixel data & the algorithms and the afterwards used sharpening technique.

In other words, you have to give it a try with your 20cm x 20cm (2363 x 2363 px) TIFF image, if it can be enlarged to 100cm x 100cm (11812 x 11812 px) in some graceful manner via APh's "Document -> Resize Document" function. - Don't forget to resharpen after rescaling.

Other than that you can also try and compare with some online tools, like for example ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you for your advice so far.

What I am trying to do is:

1.     To take a photograph in raw with high pixels

2.     Work on this photo in affinity

3.     Save and print the finished image as a 100cm x 200cm size 

However, to work on this image at 100cm x 200cm - too difficult for the computer.

Is it possible to work on it at a smaller size and then enlarge after without losing pixel definition?

1 minute ago, enlarging image said:

Is it possible to work on it at a smaller size and then enlarge after without losing pixel definition?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Not really.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To preserve image quality, it is best to work on a larger image - measured in pixels - and then reduce the size - again, measured in pixels - if it is required.

To answer your specific question, you need to provide the dimensions of your image in pixels not centimeters. Depending on the pixel dimensions of your image, it may be possible to reproduce the image at the size you want without losing quality. You also need to provide how you intend to reproduce this image. The amount of pixels you need to maintain quality varies depending on the output method/device.

So, start thinking in pixels, not centimeters.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.

If I need to upscale I edit first then upscale. I mainly do it for wildlife where I crop heavily then get back  to a sensible resolution. I use Topaz Gigapixel. They have a free trial. Suggest you have a look at it. Also talk to your printer about what dpi they want.