You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Parametric/ procedural vector design using modifiers (like Blender & 3ds Max)

I have always wondered why 2D vector applications have not implemented a procedural modifier based workflow for design exploration and block-outs. The features could be implemented similar to warp groups, basically expanding upon it to bring a modifier based workflow. So perhaps this could be integrated into Designer in the future. It should at least include the following modifiers:

1. Linear array
  2. Circular array
  3. Array on path
  4. Mirror (options for particular axis)
  5. Booleans (all the various options)
  6. Smooth curves
  7. Fillet & Chamfer (basically a modifier which captures any edits using the fillet tool to procedurally fillet specific vertices)
  8. Edit Vector (like the Edit poly modifier in 3ds Max, it should capture any edits to the vector object below this modifier in the layer group. It would then propagate any edits to the modifiers above. This can be used to make some manual edits to an otherwise procedural object.)

3 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

why 2D vector applications have not implemented a procedural modifier based workflow

While i cant answer your question, there are some Options out there.

You could take a look at "Nodebox" (Free) (PC / MAC - OS X Catalina)
for Design transfer you could use "SVG" (Nodebox can Import Designers graphics as SVG)
It works Node based.
Here the Website
https://www.nodebox.net/

Here a Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bn8ky1G10g

A step further is "Cavalry" (PC/Mac) (there is a free Version)
while build for vector based Motion Graphics it is also useable for stills.
Stills can be exported/"rendered" as SVG also in the free Version.
You just have to create a account to get it.
(Note: If you like to export your Result in "Cavalry" you need to "Render" them
and the final Render would then be saved as SVG.)
Here their Website
https://cavalry.scenegroup.co/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIucTblryr_AIVEQiLCh3XaAJTEAAYASAAEgLy8PD_BwE

And a Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUUCLe2zP0

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered this as well in fact, I'm being challenged with placement in a design that has a circular array that I drew in another program.  I made a symbol but getting them arrayed around the center is proving to be a challenge.  Even something as simple (or maybe it's not simple?) as mirroring and arrays around a center (with a configurable number) would be SO useful to my workflow.

Anybody aware of a workaround within Affinity designer that would allow precision placement/array of something like this?

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 6.50.50 AM.png

360/8 in the rotation field of the transform panel after moving the centre mark to the middle of the circle.The Centre mark is on the Context toolbar when you use the Move tool after selecting the little drawing like in your screenshot.

318952067_ScreenShot2023-01-19at10_33_36AM.png.540b0602a11401dbe4869cffd9c00358.png 

Grab it with the Move tool and move from the (default) middle of the little drawing and drag it to the middle of the circle. Snapping is your friend. There will be more math involved to get the circle the right size.

1778661406_ScreenShot2023-01-19at10_33_25AM.png.efb5e8c5c72404f8c019d6d9117e47a2.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

360/8 in the rotation field of the transform panel after moving the centre mark to the middle of the circle.The Centre mark is on the Context toolbar when you use the Move tool after selecting the little drawing like in your screenshot.

318952067_ScreenShot2023-01-19at10_33_36AM.png.540b0602a11401dbe4869cffd9c00358.png 

Grab it with the Move tool and move from the (default) middle of the little drawing and drag it to the middle of the circle. Snapping is your friend. There will be more math involved to get the circle the right size.

Thank you!!!!!

20 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Hi Bruce - is this the desktop or the iPad version?  I may not have mentioned that I'm using primarily on the iPad.  Couldn't find these options but will keep looking.

• 6 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, Intuos5 said:

I have always wondered why 2D vector applications have not implemented a procedural modifier based workflow for design exploration and block-outs. The features could be implemented similar to warp groups, basically expanding upon it to bring a modifier based workflow. So perhaps this could be integrated into Designer in the future. It should at least include the following modifiers:

1. Linear array
  2. Circular array
  3. Array on path
  4. Mirror (options for particular axis)
  5. Booleans (all the various options)
  6. Smooth curves
  7. Fillet & Chamfer (basically a modifier which captures any edits using the fillet tool to procedurally fillet specific vertices)
  8. Edit Vector (like the Edit poly modifier in 3ds Max, it should capture any edits to the vector object below this modifier in the layer group. It would then propagate any edits to the modifiers above. This can be used to make some manual edits to an otherwise procedural object.)

Now that we have the corner and contour tools, it would be so useful to have them as modifiers/curve vector effects, right now the corner tool flattens the whole curve which isn't ideal. (Even if the corner tool would apply to every point, it would still be better)

Totally agree with OP.     Why not array on curves at least?   Current usage of symbols with text on path is so  much pain in your ....     but it says it's totally possible and need just an interface as a "tool"   or as a "modifier".        The image brush in Designer  could have  been not just start/end and body segments  but up to 10alternating segments  like in old  " Creative house Expression"  

Ironically all this is perfectly possible in Blender in real time  and it's gradually  replacing  all the 2d  image tools for me.

1 hour ago, kirk23 said:

Ironically all this is perfectly possible in Blender in real time  and it's gradually  replacing  all the 2d  image tools for me.

With the right node group, you can even do boolean operations in Blender (2D stuff)

There is actually a new node-based 2D editor being made (Opensource), called Graphite which is planning to be node-based like Blender