You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Footnote Custom Positioning for split footnotes

I find Footnote Custom Positioning somewhat inadequate. For example, the Chicago Manual of Style leaves to the writer to accurately control where a long footnote overflows to the next page. The idea is to never split a footnote at the end of a sentence, so readers get a clear indication a footnote continues on the next page.  APub2's "Allow split notes" seems to be less rigorous.  Why not use a more intuitive UI, such as maybe "Force split note", allowing the user to simply use a new paragraph character within the footnote text to force the exact position where the footnote text continue on the next page? Please advise.

Hi. I agree that there is room for improvement but footnote formatting is complicated for any app. Publisher's split footnotes feature works very well but it won't do what you want. I believe you're asking for an option to "Don't split notes at start of sentence". That would be a cool feature and it isn't one that InDesign or Quark offer either.

But there is a workaround, albeit a bit kludgey and manual. If Publisher does split a footnote at the end of a sentence you could fix it by replacing the space after the period with a non-breaking space. Of course if you edit your body or footnote copy later the footnote split may occur elsewhere and now you have a non-breaking space where you don't want one.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 hours ago, eworkflow said:

The idea is to never split a footnote at the end of a sentence, so readers get a clear indication a footnote continues on the next page.  APub2's "Allow split notes" seems to be less rigorous.  Why not use a more intuitive UI, such as maybe "Force split note", allowing the user to simply use a new paragraph character within the footnote text to force the exact position where the footnote text continue on the next page? Please advise.

What happens if you insert a new line character before the
end of the sentence?

Like I just did with the question above. It should read as:

What happens if you insert a new line character before the end of the sentence? I would think that the auto function would then break the footnote at the line break.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, eworkflow said:

accurately control where a long footnote overflows to the next page. The idea is to never split a footnote at the end of a sentence, so readers get a clear indication a footnote continues on the next page. 

If all you want is to be in compliance with the Chicago Style then I don't see why you can't just insert a line break in the line that has a period/full stop at the bottom of the note's split frame. Just place your text cursor there and hit Shift + Return. The last word (with its Chicago offensive period) of that line will shift over to the next Footnote frame on the next page.

I include some nonsense with footnotes illustrating this. It is in set in Arial so all should be fine.

notes test.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you, Old Bruce, for your kind help. Please note that "my solution" (see above, using Frame Break insert while "Allow split notes" in on) works somewhat "cleaner" for me, although it requires a little manual cleanup of the overflow footnote's first line created that way.  It's necessary to mention that using Frame Break insert without first "Allow split notes" on, hangs my AffPub2 on Win11. Thanks again.