You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To preface: I am a very new user.

The Pantone trademark is mentioned in the "About Affinity Photo" window but I cannot find a Pantone Color library in any of the drop-down menus. I also cannot find a duotone model for specifying pantone colors. This would most likely not be a problem if the final document would be Affinity Photo or Designer. It is when it's part of an InDesign document.

One of the users mentioned Pantone cvs files. I can't find them.

Also, the embedded plug-ins don't display in the drop-down menus.

I'm the one that mentioned the Pantone csv files, but only in the context of removing them from the app because I don't need them or want them to appear in the Swatches panel. They appear in that panel automatically because they are resources in the application package -- you don't need to do anything special to use them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the feedback. I did find the Pantone color list. I now have to discover how to create a duotone that can be exported, or imported into InDesign. I plan to try the CYMK model and eliminate the YMK and add a pantone spot color. I don't know if this will work… there is no mention of a duotone (or tri-tone) model in the help menu. I can always do this in Photoshop… but the point is to replace Adobe in my workflow.You have been very generous and helpful. If you have any suggestions regarding duotones it would answer the second part of my Pantone question.

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

Just to be sure. I wanted to highlight these tutorials. You may find them helpful.

I appreciate the help, however those are Affinity Designer rather than Affinity Photo videos.

I believe Nivrams and myself are looking for a control similar to Photoshop's Duotone-Quadtone menu but in Affinity Photo.

It the only feature I frequiently use but have not found a solution for in Affinity Photo, yet.

• 2 months later...

AP does not do (yet) true duotone/tritone/quadtone. 

Yep! AP does not yet support spot color duotones, tri-tones, etc.. And what's more, the latest versions of Quark Xpress do not support spot color duotones.  What a bummer. Photo Shop and In Design are still needed. Spot colors can be used. Just not for duotones and the like. I have faith that AP, AD and even Q XPress will come through. Eventually.

...And what's more, the latest versions of Quark Xpress do not support spot color duotones.  What a bummer. Photo Shop and In Design are still needed. ...I have faith that ... even Q XPress will come through. Eventually.

post-255-0-36008900-1492750204_thumb.png

I've used Q since the first Windows version up through the current one.

And hey, up until version 2017 is released (imminent), I do believe one can upgrade from any version to 2017 for $175 USD. This is the same deal Quark runs with each release since version 9 I believe.

Mike

attachicon.gifcapture-001022.png

I've used Q since the first Windows version up through the current one.

And hey, up until version 2017 is released (imminent), I do believe one can upgrade from any version to 2017 for $175 USD. This is the same deal Quark runs with each release since version 9 I believe.

Mike

Mike, Quark supported spot color duotones until, maybe, the 2015 version ( I'm not certain of the exact year). There is no schedule for re-introducing this ability, but they are thinking about it. This comes from Quark, not from me. Express cannot generate a spot-color duotone PDF. Possibly a duotone using one of the process colors would work, but not a match-color (PMS).

Mike, Quark supported spot color duotones until, maybe, the 2015 version ( I'm not certain of the exact year). There is no schedule for re-introducing this ability, but they are thinking about it. This comes from Quark, not from me. Express cannot generate a spot-color duotone PDF. Possibly a duotone using one of the process colors would work, but not a match-color (PMS).

I'll leave you with this screen shot. Export as PDF (so nothing unusual). Screen shot is from Acrobat. And by the way, it was broken in version 10 and still hasn't been truly fixed so it is a brainless operation. Basically one needs to create new source & output styles. If I recall, it is the "Generic" color source/output styles that are actually broken. I would have to take a look to be sure.

post-255-0-41682900-1492793647_thumb.png

Mike

I'll leave you with this screen shot. Export as PDF (so nothing unusual). Screen shot is from Acrobat. And by the way, it was broken in version 10 and still hasn't been truly fixed so it is a brainless operation. Basically one needs to create new source & output styles. If I recall, it is the "Generic" color source/output styles that are actually broken. I would have to take a look to be sure.

attachicon.gifcapture-001024.png

Mike

Mike

Yeah, Mike. This doesn't happen anymore. Now, even though the spot ink will be recognized elsewhere in the file, the duotone, while appearing the right color will be 4-color process. It was ashock to me… and the printer. I had to redo a job in Indesign CS6.

Mike

Mike

Yeah, Mike. This doesn't happen anymore. Now, even though the spot ink will be recognized elsewhere in the file, the duotone, while appearing the right color will be 4-color process. It was ashock to me… and the printer. I had to redo a job in Indesign CS6.

Absolutely

No! Did you even look at the screen shot?

Absolutely. It was XPress V12. I'm using version 2016. No longer is the duotone broken down in the color selection box as seen in your screen shot. I've gone through this with Quark tech support, so I'm not debating.

Absolutely

Absolutely. It was XPress V12. I'm using version 2016. No longer is the duotone broken down in the color selection box as seen in your screen shot. I've gone through this with Quark tech support, so I'm not debating.

Version 12 IS version 2016.

post-255-0-50403000-1492797580_thumb.png

Sometimes plain ol' people are smarter than tech support. Just sometimes.

Mike