You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Readjusting Live Filter and Adjustment Layers sometimes fails

Ldina

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

I have had a problem fairly often when trying to make re-adjustments to an existing live filter or adjustment layer in a document. I click on the layer icon to open a previous adjustment (Curves, Unsharp mask, High Pass, or whatever) and the adjustment window briefly blinks into view, then disappears, making it impossible to readjust my settings. I try again and again, but it always vanishes, at least once this problem surfaces. Other adjustment layers in the same document may open fine for re-adjustment, but the layer in question won't allow me access. I've tried repositioning the layer as a child layer, a parent layer, or and individual layer with no parent and child, all to no avail. The only solution I've found is to delete the layer and recreate it. Sometimes, I need to shut down AP and restart it, then it works fine for a while. This usually happens after working with the program for a period of time. 

More often than not, reopening and readjusting layers works fine, as expected. But, this problem happens often enough that it is very irritating and forces me to delete and recreated the layer, or reboot the program. I don't know if that is a bug in the program itself, or whether there is a conflict with other programs, utilities, the O/S, etc. I'm running a 2017 MacBook Pro, 15" Retina display, OSX Monterrey 12.6.

BTW, I've held off installing OSX Ventura because I have read of some issues with v2 software. I'd like to upgrade to Ventura. Is the Affinity Suite working okay now with Ventura, or should I continue to hold off? I don't want to upgrade the OS if it will cause more trouble.

Thanks, Lou

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ldina,

On 1/1/2023 at 11:00 PM, Ldina said:

I have had a problem fairly often when trying to make re-adjustments to an existing live filter or adjustment layer in a document. I click on the layer icon to open a previous adjustment (Curves, Unsharp mask, High Pass, or whatever) and the adjustment window briefly blinks into view, then disappears, making it impossible to readjust my settings. I try again and again, but it always vanishes, at least once this problem surfaces. Other adjustment layers in the same document may open fine for re-adjustment, but the layer in question won't allow me access. I've tried repositioning the layer as a child layer, a parent layer, or and individual layer with no parent and child, all to no avail. The only solution I've found is to delete the layer and recreate it. Sometimes, I need to shut down AP and restart it, then it works fine for a while. This usually happens after working with the program for a period of time. 

I've not been able to replicate this, the Adjustment panel opens and stays open for me each time.  If you have an afphoto file that you can replicate the issue with, could you attach it and i'll try replicating it with your file.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:00 PM, Ldina said:

BTW, I've held off installing OSX Ventura because I have read of some issues with v2 software. I'd like to upgrade to Ventura. Is the Affinity Suite working okay now with Ventura, or should I continue to hold off?

I've been using Affinity V2 on Ventura since the release of Ventura and haven't had any issues with my workflow in V2. 

Hi @stokerg.

Thanks for the Ventura feedback. Since I posted I have upgraded to Ventura. The only problem I've notice so far is printer presets not sticking, but I believe that is an Apple OSX issue.

If I have another problem with filter/adjustment layers blinking and disappearing when trying to re-edit those layers, I will be sure to save the file and upload it. I've been spending more time with Designer and Publisher lately, so I haven't been using Photo all the much. Thanks for the response.

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish