You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean still broken and unreliable

23 hours ago, ,,, said:

One workaround is to use Document Properties to scale the document to 1 pixel wide, do the boolean operation, and then scale the document back to 210 mm wide.

yup that works perfectly here as well, thanks! How on earth did you discover that, I assume you have some idea of what is going wrong in the background?

19 hours ago, SrPx said:

When you say "Paste Special did nothing on my end"... What do you mean exactly? It does not make the boolean union automatically (after placing it to match the placement of the original copy-pasted letters through magnetic snapping, which btw, I don't know if this is a bug, as other copy paste fucntions on Affinity apps are pasted in-place of the source). After doing this paste, you still need you to select the rectangle layer, then the letters' layer too, with shift key (or ctrl). And hit  the UNION icon in the top bar.

For some reason when I was selecting Paste Special from the edit menu, nothing happened at all, no dialog box showed up listing the formats available to paste in, however today it seems to be working fine. Weird, I never use a second monitor on this laptop (ref your suggestion it may have been showing up on another screen) so no idea what was wrong.

Oki, glad then that you have now two workflows for this.  :) 

Hopefully this will get a fix.  :) 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

As somebody already mentioned: the text ist the problem. Booleans work flawless (at least on my end), but V2 messes up the text curves. It worked in V1, so they changed something to the worse.
You can even create fine working booleans with text in V1, open the file in V2 and it gets messed up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here all - I can confirm our team are aware of issues with Boolean operations on text objects converted to curves and our team are working to resolve this ASAP.

I will be sure to update our development log with this thread now and we offer our apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this in the meantime.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Boolean Operation fails on text converted to curves" (REF: AFD-6172 & AFD-5816 ) have been fixed/improved by the developers in internal build 2.1.0.1709
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.