You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing and exporting character styles with Word

V 2.0.3.1688.

Hello everyone,

I have created a Word file with all the character and highlight colours and all the default styles from the Font tab in Word.

word.png.8a691c69ae6b8d4f53e51fa754472567.png

There are 2 methods of transferring text from Word.

1. Copy the text.
    1. Underlines 3 to 8 and Hidden are not recognised.
    2. Style names created in Word are well recognised in Affinity Publisher.
    3. A line break is added to the last paragraph.
  2. Import the Word file.
    1. Underlines 3 to 8 and Hidden are not recognised.
    2. The style names created in Word are well recognised in Affinity Publisher.
    3. A line break is added to the last paragraph.
    4. Paragraph style differs slightly (hyphenation) from direct copying of text.

I have only found one method of copying text from Affinity Publisher into Word.

1. The initial highlights from Word are not picked up in Word, nor are the initial underlines 3 to 8.
  2. Character styles created in Affinity Publisher are not carried over into Word.

word-caracteres.thumb.png.509e4475a030c3da5e7e1ce101ba4ae8.png

texte-couleur.docx copy-from-word.afpub

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Pyanepsion,

Thanks for your report!

On 12/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, Pyanepsion said:

Underlines 3 to 8 and Hidden are not recognised.

I can confirm this is expected behaviour, as Affinity Publisher uses the underline styles that are provided by the font - whereas other apps essentially add a 'fake' underline, which can be controlled with more options than the font itself supports.

We'd recommend using Decorations for this level of control in Publisher and not font underlining.

A line break is added to the last paragraph.

Apologies, I may be missing something here - at the end of the last paragraph in Word, there is a line break & this is also shown when pasting or placing the Word file into Publisher, and I can't see any other line breaks in the last paragraph in your Publisher document provided. 

Can you please expand on this for me?

Paragraph style differs slightly (hyphenation) from direct copying of text.

I can confirm I'm able to replicate this issue here and have logged it with our developers.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

A line break is added to the last paragraph.

Compare the Word version (in green) and the 2 Affinity Publisher versions (in orange). A new line has been added below Purple.

Paragraph style differs slightly (hyphenation) from direct copying of text.

Look at the Affinity Publisher versions (in orange). Underline 7 is cut and goes to line as well as Superscript and Purple on the File version.

word-to-affinity-publisher.thumb.png.2ea3c9632090d3518a390ddc40f6f8a2.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

• Staff
On 1/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, Pyanepsion said:

Compare the Word version (in green) and the 2 Affinity Publisher versions (in orange). A new line has been added below Purple.

Thanks for verifying, the same Line Break is shown in both Word and Publisher for this file - simply Publisher displays the Section symbol on the line below with Show Special Characters enabled. This is expected behaviour and simply a difference in how each app displays Line Breaks at the end of the section.

image.png

On 1/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, Pyanepsion said:

Look at the Affinity Publisher versions (in orange). Underline 7 is cut and goes to line as well as Superscript and Purple on the File version.

As mentioned in my previous post, I've logged this with our developers as a bug :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi, @Dan C, It is conceivable, and if we think about it, it could be useful, especially for adding text afterwards without the beginning of the new text being stuck to the last character of the previous one.  Thank you.