You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I switch a brush stroke back to a regular stroke and still use pressure and expand stroke?

Here is my example it's a simplified version of my project but in my project I used brush strokes for many curves and found out later that I can do the same effect with better more accurate settings just by changing the pressure settings. Doing it this way allows me to expand the stroke once I'm done. The problem I'm having is I already have all the strokes and don't want to rework everything and when I switch them to the solid line style the pressure curve no longer works nor expand stroke. 

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

untitled.afdesign

Welcome to the forum @Rufus Goldenball

Brushes in Affinity Designer are pixel images on a vector curve, not a vector shape on a vector curve, consequently you cannot expand a pixel image that follows a vector curve.

At best these are hybrid pixel shaped vector curve brushes but to my mind they are not true vector brushes, this is why you are having trouble expanding the lines.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Undo, CMD/CTL + Z ?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Rufus Goldenball said:

That's fine, but how do you remove the applied brush settings to your curve after you apply one. No matter what after I apply one then switch back to the solid line style I cannot expand the stroke nor use the pressure settings anymore to taper the start and end points. 

Please refer to my answer here in this related topic & let me know if that works for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I had a similar problem, my solution was to use the pencil tool instead of brushes. You can use it as a "brush" adjusting pressures options and thickness. It´s completely vector, so no problem at the time of expand.

I think the png brushes is a problem Affinity should fix in future, because can cause some problems to unaware designers.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, Rufus Goldenball said:

how do you remove the applied brush settings to your curve after you apply one.

1. select all curves you want to change
  2. Brushes panel > Pens > option/alt-click on the topmost "Solid Pen with Pressure"
  3. adjust average stroke width as needed, the original stroke width and the pressure will be retained
  4. Layer > Expand Stroke
  5. voilà
2 hours ago, Andando said:

the png brushes is a problem Affinity should fix

It's not a "problem". It's how the tool works. Sometimes you may actually want exactly this kind of tool.

The actual problem is that apart from the aforementioned "Solid Pen with Pressure", there are no other true vector brushes. In other words, it's a missing feature, not a "bug" or something.

Edited by loukash
added the option-click step

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 2:13 PM, loukash said:
  2. Brushes panel > Pens > option/alt-click on the topmost "Solid Pen with Pressure"
  3. adjust average stroke width as needed, the original stroke width and the pressure will be retained
  4. Layer > Expand Stroke
  5. voilà

It's not a "problem". It's how the tool works. Sometimes you may actually want exactly this kind of tool.

The actual problem is that apart from the aforementioned "Solid Pen with Pressure", there are no other true vector brushes. In other words, it's a missing feature, not a "bug" or something.

Yeah, it only was a way to speak. The "problem" is when you are not aware you are not using vectors, but png.

Thanks for the tip above.

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2023 at 3:13 PM, loukash said:
  4. Layer > Expand Stroke
  5. voilà

Thank you so much!