You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some font issues when placing a PDF

I have to modify a PDF where I can reorganize sections of a music PDF. The music comes through just fine, as well as most of the text. However the vocal lines have the weirdest letter spacing I have seen. Publisher imports text with tabs in the middle of the lyrics. The lyrics are in Times New Roman, so its not a case of me not having the right font on my computer.

InDesign and Acrobat Pro can open it just fine, as well as several other files. I certainly am puzzled by this behaviour. I'm pulling the plug on Adobe the middle of January, and would really like to sort this out. I don't modify music very often at all, but this gives me pause with Affinity's relationship with PDFs.

Affinity Publisher vs PDF.png

Excerpt- Acrobat-On Eagle's Wings - Eb Major.pdf

5 hours ago, Larry Fjeldstrom said:

I have to modify a PDF

Publisher is not a PDF editor. Publisher attempts to interpret the PDF stream if you open a PDF document and converts it to an Affinity document as good as it can.

InDesign

… just places the PDF as is. Same as if you would place (not open) a PDF in Publisher. InDesign cannot directly edit PDFs, unless you use an overpriced 3rd party plugin.

Acrobat Pro can open it just fine

Yep, Acrobat Pro is your correct tool to edit PDF natively. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2