You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame > Hide Overflow + master page frame bug

MikeTO

With Publisher 2.0.3 for macOS:

1. Create a new facing pages document with 1 page
  2. Draw a small text frame on both sides of the master and link them together - ensure Text Frame > Hide Overflow is on for these frames
  3. Go to page 1 and type into the frame - type more text than will fit and Publisher will show the overflow even though Hide Overflow is checked.
  4. Toggle Hide Overflow off and back on to fix the problem

The problem will not occur if you just draw a frame on the right master, or if you draw the left frame but don't link it to the right frame. I've attached a document with two tiny linked frames for testing but this isn't document specific.

Overset Test.afpub

image.png.ef343b2d6426428497c741a72d54809b.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I see that on Windows, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your report @MikeTO,

I can confirm I've replicated this issue and I've logged it with our team, as well as a few other inconsistencies between macOS and Windows with the Text Frame Studio and objects from a master.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 12/30/2022 at 1:04 PM, MikeTO said:

With Publisher 2.0.3 for macOS:

1. Create a new facing pages document with 1 page
  2. Draw a small text frame on both sides of the master and link them together - ensure Text Frame > Hide Overflow is on for these frames
  3. Go to page 1 and type into the frame - type more text than will fit and Publisher will show the overflow even though Hide Overflow is checked.
  4. Toggle Hide Overflow off and back on to fix the problem

The problem will not occur if you just draw a frame on the right master, or if you draw the left frame but don't link it to the right frame. 

Mike, I have text frames on right and left side of the two-page spread Master Page, but I have no idea how to link them. (I didn't see the option in Spread Properties.) When I import text onto recto page 1, it flows onto pages 3, 5, 7, and 9, but pages 2, 4, 6, and 8 have no text flow. I cannot find anything in Help to show me how to "link text frames." I have the same problem whether I'm using copy and paste to import text, or if I'm importing a PDF or .DOCX file using the Place function.

This problem also occurs if I have the text frame on only the right side or the left side of the Master Page. Spread Properties are set as Facing pages.

FWIW, I didn't have this problem with Version 1. How do I link text frames so both recto and verso pages are included in Auto Flow?

Auto_Flow_issue.jpg

16 minutes ago, Celeste Joseph said:

I have text frames on right and left side of the two-page spread Master Page, but I have no idea how to link them.

On the Master Page:

1. Click the lower-right linking triangle on the left page's Text Frame.
  2. Click the right page's Text Frame.

(Basically, the same way you'd link any two Text Frames. And note that you do it before you add text to the document pages, or at least before you reflow that text.)

https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/linkingTextFrames.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

On the Master Page:

1. Click the lower-right linking triangle on the left page's Text Frame.
  2. Click the right page's Text Frame.

(Basically, the same way you'd link any two Text Frames. And note that you do it before you add text to the document pages, or at least before you reflow that text.)

https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/linkingTextFrames.html

Thank you so much! Bookmarking the link for future reference.

Linked_text_frames.jpg