You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frame Text Overflow Not Showing Indicator When Text Frame Not Selected USER ERROR PLEASE IGNORE

MarvinR

In Affinity Publisher Help under "Frame text" it says that a red circular icon should appear on the right side of the Text Frame when when the Text Frame is not selected and there is text overflowing.  All the other indicators show up but as described in the help file but this one does not. 

I tested by creating Text Frames with the Text Frame Tool and filling them with text that overflowed and the red circular icon never appears. I looked at the Text Frame Panel and did find an option for turning it off. So, I think it is a bug.   

I am a very light user of Affinity Publisher so this may not be a big deal but it looked like have the visible warning of overflow without having to select the text frame would be very useful.

Mac mini M1 (2020) 16GB Monterey 12.6.2

Thanks

Edit: Did more testing. This situation only appeared when editing a Version 1 document in Version 2.  It does not occur if you create the document in Version 2. Adjusting title to reflect this.

Edited by MarvinR
MORE INFORMATION

1. If the Text Frame is selected, @MarvinR, then you should see a red triangle at the lower right if there is overflowing text. Additionally, a red eye symbol. If there is a / through the eye, then the overflow text is not shown. If there is no / through it, the overflow text is shown. You can click the eye to change between shown and not shown, or use the setting in the Text Frame panel.
  2. Additionally, for Text Frames that have overflowing text but are not selected, you will get a red circle (instead of the red triangle) if you have View > Show Text Flow enabled.

I think you are probably talking about situation 2, and you probably do not have View > Show Text Flow enabled. But it is hard to be sure without a screenshot and/or a sample .afpub document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It would be useful to have screenshots, and a sample .afpub document from you. It's possible you've found a problem on Macs, but it certainly works properly for me on Windows in the scenario you describe, and no one else has mentioned this that I have seen.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

38 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

@walt.farrell  It looks like I was updating as you were typing.  The situation I describe only occurs when you are editing a document created in V1 with V2.  When you create the document in V2 and edit in V2 it works exactly as the help file and you describe.  

I think Walt is correct, you should turn View > Show Text Flow on.

With the frame deselected you'll see red circle icons to indicate overset text but with Show Text Flow off you will see nothing.

231263560_Screenshot2022-12-30at3_22_01PM.png.1b8d0bc7cd88ba2d65366ace1e5f71bf.png2036555034_Screenshot2022-12-30at3_22_15PM.png.4630345675e20ccf7cc0adbc572a48c3.png

With the frame selected it doesn't matter if you have Show Text Flow on, you'll see the overset icon.

1102818686_Screenshot2022-12-30at3_22_12PM.png.43b18c9448c6b45ed03f5d9526c23422.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@walt.farrell I have attached screen shots and the V1 document I found this error.  It is one of the documents from the Affinity Publisher Work book.  One screen shot is when the Text Frame is not selected and one screen shot is when the Text Frame is selected.  

This does not occur when you create a document in V2 and edit it in V2.  In that situation it works perfectly.  But, from what I see here it would effect those editing in V1 and expecting to get that warning icon. 

Mac mini M1 (2020) 16GB Monterey 12.6.2. and Affinity Publiser 2.0.3.

Thanks

Text Frame Not Selected Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 3.23.19 PM.png

Text Frame Selected Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 3.24.07 PM.png

core_skills_overset_text.afpub

5 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

One screen shot is when the Text Frame is not selected and one screen shot is when the Text Frame is selected.  

Thanks.

For me, with your sample document, it does not matter if I use Publisher V1 or Publisher 2.

1. When I open your sample document, I see this (like your first screenshot):
    image.png.9ab19c14317f8a2480e75d9d645e328a.png
  2. However, in that document, the document setting View > Show Text Flow is turned off. If I turn it on, I see this:
    image.png.76ee6498f2de9deb389be12a6754f92d.png

-- Walt
PC:

@MikeTO and @walt.farrell Thank you.  Did as @MikeTo said and turned on Show Text Flow and that let me see the symbol when not selected when editing a V1 document in V2.  

As you can see from the sample I posted, I am a light user of Affinity Publisher and because I had not used it in nearly a year I was going through the V1 Workbook drills to get familiar with things again.

Thank you both for your assistance and time in figuring this out. I will put User Error in the Title so the folks at Affinity don't have to mess with it.

Peace

Marvin