You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

sorry not to respond for so long, but as I said, I don't have an internet connection at home (I can only recommend that to you actually, made me like my life a lot more).

Anyways, thank you all very much for your responses and interesting discussions.

As Oval would probably have predicted, I did not find fractions in my Helvetica FontBook. A little puzzling to me, I've never done anything to my Helvetica myself (maybe installing some software did? The only programs I installed on this 2015 Macbook pro running on OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 are Matlab 2015b, Microsoft Office and AD). #

I have a Helvetica Neue installed though and this has fractions.

Found out via R C-Rs tip, thank you very much. This is a great way to see all the fonts that have the symbols I'm looking for. And with Helvetica Neue (only if all of the text in a box is in Helvetica Neue though, not if parts are in Myriad Pro) I can finally also hit the fractions button and enjoy its effects. Very cool.

Cheers,

Christoph

According to Font Book I have exactly the same "10.0d4e1" version of Helvetica installed on my 2012 iMac running 10.11.3 as A_B_C & the same lack of fraction glyphs. But according to Character Viewer all my Helvetica typefaces include the three common fraction glyphs (¼ ½ ¾) in the Unicode Latin-1 Supplement range (code points 00BC through 00BE, respectively), as does my Helvetica Neue (also version 10.0d40e1).

As with an ever increasing list of others things about typography & how apps and/or OS X handles it, I have no idea what to make of this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just curious, R C-R, how do you see from Character Viewer that “all [your] Helvetica typefaces include the three common fraction glyphs”? Do you check the myriad families in the bottom right corner? Or is there a better method?

I would be happy if you posted a screen shot …  :)

post-1198-0-77247100-1454775631_thumb.png

Rather fascinating discussion here on fonts and glyphs so thank you all for your input!

I was wondering... Would a font manager like, for example, FontExplorer X or Suitcase Fusion, make all this fraction business easier to work with?

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Just curious, R C-R, how do you see from Character Viewer that “all [your] Helvetica typefaces include the three common fraction glyphs”? Do you check the myriad families in the bottom right corner? Or is there a better method?

There might be a better way but I don't know what it would be. I just scrolled through the glyphs on the bottom right, clicking on one every so often until I found the Helvetica ones, & then checked that each Helvetica typeface on my system had one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you, R C-R, I see …  :)

Would a font manager like, for example, FontExplorer X or Suitcase Fusion, make all this fraction business easier to work with?

Honestly, I don’t believe so, MacGuerle. In my opinion, the best solution would be a dedicated glyphs panel in Affinity Designer itself. And I am sure the developers will come up with a very handy solution, once Affinity Publisher approaches its release date.  :)

Honestly, I don’t believe so, MacGuerle. In my opinion, the best solution would be a dedicated glyphs panel in Affinity Designer itself. And I am sure the developers will come up with a very handy solution, once Affinity Publisher approaches its release date.  :)

Indeed! Thanks for your reply, A_B_C!   :)

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

From my point of view, it would be nice to have confirmation via another app that this is not a bug in Affinity.

Has Serif already asked Christoph about the details of his installed Helvetica(s), the situation in TextEdit, if there is a substitution issue etc.?

No, you don’t really think it is a AD bug.

• 4 years later...

Actually, if you click View -> Studio -> Glyph Browser, you can place the cursor where you want the glyph to appear (if inserting) or highlight the area you where want the glyph to appear (if replacing text) and then double click the 1/2 glyph (it is on row 27 from the top in my view).

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 12.55.47 PM.png

Edited by glass

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

I have a related question here....

My fractions are work fine for common fractions like 1/4 1/2 3/4 etc.

Is there anyway to type uncommon fractions like 1/5 for example??

You would be best served by using a font with dedicated numerator and denominator glyphs. Rather rare. You can use the super and subscripts but be aware that there is a difference between the Slash "/" and the actual (whatever it is actually called) divide symbol. Again, not all fonts will have that. I would suggest that if you are going to be using 5ths and 13ths etc. you should also replace the 1/2 1/4 glyphs with your hand-rolled version so as to have consistency.

In any case the Glyph browser in Affinity is your friend for finding these things.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.