You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I cannot save an artistic text style that I could use continuously in the future, I can save to the current photo file but even with a second photo file both in edit mode the second photo file does not see the saved style from the first edit file even while both live in edit mode.

The help file would appear to be for Photo 1 rather than photo 2 or am I missing something along the way. Could someone point me in the right direction because I am lost and have spent far too much time trying to get this feature to work.

Thanks

It sounds like you want to create a text style that will be used in new documents.

https://affinity.help/publisher2/English.lproj/pages/Text/textStyles_remove.html

To save a text style set as the default for new documents:

1. Create a blank document.
  2. Edit your text styles to your liking.
  3. From Panel Preferences on the Text Styles panel, select Save Styles as Defaults.

You can also import text styles from another Affinity document.

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/textStyles_create.html

To import text styles from documents:

1. Do one of the following:
    • From the Text Styles panel, go to Panel Preferences and select Import Styles.
    • Select Text>Text Styles>Import Text Styles.

Thank-you for your response. I have read all that is contained in the help files as above and tried to follow and implement these guidelines. For me they have not worked and I can only at this stage assume that either I am missing something or that I am totally expecting something different. Failing those two most likely issues the only other is that there is a bug in Version 2 but I am reluctant to make that claim since I have not used text or text styles in the time I have been with version 1. and can only say that they are not working at present for me.

I wish to use the type styles on my machine and totally within the current version of Affinity Photo 2. I expected that I could save a style in a category via the stye page under studio and call down the correct style from the context menu when selecting Artistic Text. None of this seem to happen once I quit the first photo file with the saved Artistic Text Style saved as per the help files. I have also tried exporting and importing from the first photo file but that has not worked either.

I guess at this stage it would be appreciated if I could be assured that

a. there is not a bug in Photo 2 and that the help files are up to date with Photo 2

b. if there is a suggestion as to what I could be missing following the help files - have others had issues with this aspect of Photo 2.

Many Thanks

Regards KwameKofi

It sounds like you're talking about opening image files (JPG, PNG, TIFF, or Raw) and adding Artistic Text to them.

If so, what you need to consider is that the default Text Styles are used when you create a new document. However, when you Open an existing file, the Affinity applications use the Text Styles contained in the document. And image files do not have Text Styles in them, so you start with an empty set of Text Styles. 

You could try an alternative workflow. For example, one of these approaches might work for you:

1. Keep another document open, and type your text into that document. Copy it, and Paste it into the image document.
  2. Start with a Template that contains your Text Styles. Place an image file into it, and then create your text.
  3. Or, starting with an image file (and no Text Styles), use the Text Styles panel to Import your chosen Text Styles from another document (such as a Template file) that contains them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, KwameKofi said:

I have also tried exporting and importing from the first photo file but that has not worked either.

To add to the suggestions Walt provided…

Text Styles can’t be exported. Text Styles can be imported via Import Styles in the Text Styles panel hamburger menu. I just wanted to make sure we’re referring to the same things.

Thanks to Brian and Walt - yes the first thing I need to accept that there is a difference between text as a label on the photo and a text style. So I am needing to sort out my expectations. My background is publisher both in IDesign and Affinity Publisher and I was expecting the same approach in Photo 2.

I have not tried a template but will do so along the lines you have suggested. My current project is to print all the Bird Photos that I have taken and I simply wanted to attach a label identifying the bird. I wanted to use a uniform label style for each label and did not want to have to create the style for every picture and its label.

Yes the suggestions have been helpful but I have yet to  try them.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, KwameKofi said:

My background is publisher both in IDesign and Affinity Publisher and I was expecting the same approach in Photo 2.

Photo 2 and Publisher 2 (and Publisher v1) work the same in this regard. The only difference is that you are very unlikely to have been Opening image files in Publisher. But if you did, you would find that you had no default Text Styles there, either.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Looks like I can what I need to do by Editing in Publisher which is a choice under the File Menu. A flip there and back does all I need to do. I should have thought of this earlier. Yes the labels are not editable in Photo but the journey back to publisher is still possible. I am on my way. Thanks

3 hours ago, KwameKofi said:

Looks like I can what I need to do by Editing in Publisher which is a choice under the File Menu. A flip there and back does all I need to do. I should have thought of this earlier. Yes the labels are not editable in Photo but the journey back to publisher is still possible.

I’m not sure what you mean by “labels.” It seems like you may be talking about something other than text styles.

Regardless, I’m glad you’re able to accomplish what you need to. 👍

• 1 month later...

I have the requirement that Kwamekofi had. I just want to be able to call on a saved Text Style within Photo. 

For example: Say I take a number of photos of groups of people. I want to put the persons name under each individual. I create a character style that I use to "label" each person on the first photo. Now when I open the next image I would like to have that character style available to use on this photo and any other image that I open in the future.

It gives me the option to create a Paragraph or Character Style but are we saying its only available to use for that particular image file and not for any other that's opened subsequently?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Nick808 said:

It gives me the option to create a Paragraph or Character Style but are we saying its only available to use for that particular image file and not for any other that's opened subsequently?

Yes, because when you open an existing file, the only Text Styles you have are the ones contained in that file. And an image file won't have any for you to use.

Your best approach may be to create a new file (.aftemplate, or .afphoto) and create the Text Styles you want. Then save it. Later, when you open an image file, you can go to the Text Styles panel, and from its panel options (burger menu) choose Import Styles. That will give you a dialog to choose another file to import Text Styles from, and you can choose the .aftemplate or .afphoto file you saved earlier.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for the prompt reply Walt.

That's essentially what I've been doing but its not very efficient.

I wonder if its something that could be implemented easily within the software in future. Not a developer but do the styles need only be stored with the image file. Macros for example are available to any opened file I believe irrespective of when or how they were created.

1 minute ago, Nick808 said:

Macros for example are available to any opened file I believe irrespective of when or how they were created.

Yes, Macros are another possibility.

@N.P.M.'s suggestions of Styles (not Text Styles) or Assets are also good ones.

-- Walt
PC:

53 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

can you not use Text Styles saved a s default for what you want to do?

Default Text Styles apply only to new documents you create. They do not apply to documents you Open. When you Open a document, you get whatever Text Styles it contains. For image files (JPG, PNG, TIFF) or PDF files you will find there are no Text Styles when you Open the file. You would need to Open a .afphoto, .afdesign, .afpub, .PSD, etc. to have Text Styles.

-- Walt
PC: