You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extra space when copying multibyte text to external editors

garrettm30

I have discovered that copying certain strings of characters from Publisher 2 and pasting into various rich text editors results in extra spaces added where there was none before. To demonstrate:

1. Open the attached file in Publisher 2.
  2. Copy the French word L’État.
  3. Paste it into an external program that accepts rich text, such as Apple Pages, Microsoft Word, or even TextEdit in rich text mode.

Below are the results I get, in this case pasted directly into this post. First line is copied from the document when opened in Publisher 1.10.6, which works as expected, and second is from Publisher 2.0.3.

L’État (Publisher 1.10.6)
L’É tat (Publisher 2.0.3)

Notice the extra space after the accented E. I have noticed this pattern in numerous words that have an apostrophe (but not a straight apostrophe) followed by an accented character. I also gave a second example it the file which you can try:

jusqu’à la fin (Publisher 1.10.6)
jusqu’à  la fin (Publisher 2.0.3)

In this case one space became two, but I notice it is still the same pattern of a space being added following an apostrophe together with an accented character.

Tested on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) on macOS Ventura 13.1.

L'État test.afpub

Besides the time to investigate and report the bug, it took me a good deal of time of actual work to clean up the article when I was copying from Publisher to post as our online version. However, I have since discovered a faster way than manually editing all the errors, and it may be relevant information. For Publisher 2 documents, I have found that I can copy a story and paste it into Publisher 1 in a simple frame, then copy again to paste into the external program. In this way, I still have rich text but without the issues. It’s definitely not ideal, but it will help get me through this until the bug is fixed.

Thanks @MikeTO for letting me know about the similar post on Windows, and to @Pyanepsion for your work documenting the issue there too.

@garrettm30, to check on Mac. At least on Windows, this bug does not appear in version 2.0.0.16.40 which also fixes some annoying bugs from v1. on style, and colour, and page breaks.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Typographic apostrophe OR certain other characters followed by an accented character pastes incorrectly into external apps" (REF: AFB-7168) has now been fixed by the developers.
This fix is included in build 2.1.0.1706 (or later) which is already available as a customer beta and will be included in the next release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please make a new thread referencing this one.