You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2.0.3 Not Remembering Window Size/Position of Tool Panels

Hello everyone! Happy holidays and happy new year. Thank you for reading my post. Am I the only one experiencing this oddity?

As in even in version 1 of Publisher, it annoys me that the software doesn't remember the window size and position for say: File >> New or when opening up the Guides Panel to manually  add in (type in) guide pixel values. It always centers.

Is this a "feature" or is this a bug?

In other words, Publisher does not remember window position and size in version 1 and still the same behavior in 2.0.3.

Next, how can we can Serif to consider fixing this so that we the end users have absolute control as to where we place and size our tool panels.

I am not referring to the Studio Panels, where we can add tool panels and customization. I am talking about the tool panel that pops up when doing File >> New or View >> Guides.

Do you see that? No matter where you position and/or resize, the application doesn't remember. It always defaults to center-of-screen.

I find this particularly frustrating for the Text Styles dialog.

In V1 on Windows, the position of the Color Chooser and Text Wrap dialogs were not remembered. The issue was resolved in V2... the position of the Color Chooser and Text Wrap dialogs are now remembered. This is a post I created reporting it as a bug in V1...

At the time of the above post, I hadn't identified all the windows for which position is not remembered. I'm not sure if this is a Windows-only issue or if Mac users also experience it.

@Ronald N. Tan are you on Windows or Mac?

Can a Mac user chime in and advise if the position of the dialog for Text Styles, Guides, and others are remembered or if they always display in the center of the screen?

3 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

Can a Mac user chime in and advise if the position of the dialog for Text Styles, Guides, and others are remembered or if they always display in the center of the screen?

The Text Styles insists on opening in the middle of the screen. All the others open where I last left them.

I use the Text Styles panel a lot and it frustrates the [expletive deleted] out of me that it always opens in the middle of the screen. This means that quite often it is covering the paragraph or characters that I want to adjust by making a subtle change in the style. [rising blood pressure caused by thinking about this emoticon] 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

I am on Windows 11 Home, latest stable version.

I find this particularly frustrating for the Text Styles dialog.

In V1 on Windows, the position of the Color Chooser and Text Wrap dialogs were not remembered. The issue was resolved in V2... the position of the Color Chooser and Text Wrap dialogs are now remembered. This is a post I created reporting it as a bug in V1...

At the time of the above post, I hadn't identified all the windows for which position is not remembered. I'm not sure if this is a Windows-only issue or if Mac users also experience it.

@Ronald N. Tan are you on Windows or Mac?

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The Text Styles insists on opening in the middle of the screen. All the others open where I last left them.

So it would appear that the position of the Text Styles dialog is "by design" and the position of other dialogs are a Windows bug.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I use the Text Styles panel a lot and it frustrates the [expletive deleted] out of me that it always opens in the middle of the screen. This means that quite often it is covering the paragraph or characters that I want to adjust by making a subtle change in the style.

Same for me. The first thing I have to do after opening the Text Styles dialog is move it... usually to the same position I had it the last time I used it.

I think it's safe to say that this "oddity" affects Serif's other apps of Designer and Photo on Windows. I don't mind that the panels in discussion default to center.

The moment we (the end users) position/resize, all three Photo, Designer, and Publisher should remember these custom position/size on subsequent runs of the applications.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ronald N. Tan, @Brian_J & @Old Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that I have logged File > NewFile > Document Setup, and the Text Styles dialogs as bugs with our developers, as I believe these should retain their position based on other menu items that do in the same category (ie File > OpenFile > Export)

However I have logged the View > GuidesView > Grids etc as an improvement request - as currently none of the View menu options retain their position, so this may be By Design.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I think I'll go back to V1, strange things happen in V2, if you copy and paste the object it will appear moved to another place, not where you copied it from, moving in layers is not always comfortable. Also if I apply "combine" in the pathfinder it removes the object from the group and then I have to drag it back to the group where it was. Another point is the compatibility of affinity exported files with adobe, Fiverr does not offer the option of .afdesigener, .afphoto and .afpub formats.

Edited by PierMax
More topics

• Staff

Thanks for your feedback @PierMax, though I'm unsure how this relates to the above thread.

I'd recommend creating a new post in Questions if you require support, or in the Feedback section of the forums if you have any changes you wish for our developers to consider for the future :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

I can confirm this issue is still logged with our development team - I'll be sure to 'bump' this with them now to bring it to their attention once more :)