You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize Document Before Editing or After is Ok

Hi everyone, I want to resize my picture by making the document a little bigger. So my question is « Is it better to resize the document before adding layers or it does not matter if you do it after development ». I have done after all the settings and everything looks good but I would like to have your opinion. Thank you

I always resize, if needed, as one of the very last steps prior to final export. The only "later' step would be a slight sharped if resizing killed the sharpness.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

It depends on many factors, mainly the

• use case for the resulting image (large photo print, web, …)
  • the quality of source image
  • the type of edits you make (e.g. adding layers, what layer types).

if you are ok with the results from your current workflow, go for it.

Otherwise, just give us an example ane exppain what you want to achieve or improve

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Enlarging raster images via software will always result in loss of image quality. Sometimes it will not be noticed if you are only enlarging by a small amount. That being said, you will want to do the enlarging of the picture. Then make any edits, additions, etc. If you do the edits first, then you will also lose quality of the edits as well as the initial image you started with If you enlarge at the end.

I don't understand what you mean by, "I want to resize my picture by making the document a little bigger". 

A lot depends on what your final product is and how much enlarging is done. I am speaking from a background of high-quality, four-to-6-color offset lithography where enlarging photos is always frowned upon. When ever I was forced to do this, I would always get a knot in my stomach. To meet deadlines you sometimes have to do what you have to do.

Affinity Photo and Design V1. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Dell Precision 7710 laptop. Intel Core i7. RAM 32GB. NVIDIA Quadro M4000M.