You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v2.0.3: Bug when control-selecting mask

IPv6

I have a mask that is half of canvas black and half of canvas white. But control-click on it makes selection for a full document size, not a half (as expected). This happens when mask is a part of group clipping, when the same mask is removed from clipping - control click is ok. But it should behave the same in both cases - since i`m clickin on the mask and expect the content of the mask to be used as selection

Look at video, file attached also

Screen Recording 2022-12-29 at 13.37.48.mov

mask-selection-bug.afphoto

Then why it works when not in clipping zone? And marching ants clearly not matching the internals of the mask itself (you can see in video) when in clipping

Probably there is a workarounds, but control-clicking should give you the selection you see in mask. This is expected behaviour

20 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

I don't know how you created the mask in the first place but the marching ants indicate it is bigger.
Almost the size of the document with a little gap in the middle part

I mean it does not matter bigger it or not. It not fits the content, look at side by side comparison in attachment.

If by "bigger" you mean that bottom half is "zero zone" (not selected) - then why i can draw in it? Half bottom is NOT really masks the brush, you can see it in the video

comparison.png

6 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

You are painting in the selection (marching ants) on the top pixellayer.
You got the selection from the mask but this bigger to the part you want.
The mask doesn't play a part anymore.

It`s a SELECTION. Brush should draw on selected parts and should NOT draw in unselected. This is one of the primary use for selections.

And Brush totally conforms to selection in second case - when selection made from the very same mask, but moved out of clamp. You can also see this in video. Same mask, same actions, different result - but result should be the same.

BTW, regarding "bigger part" - there is still a visible bug. center line does not fit the center line in mask itself. It should match, bigger mask or not - does not matter.
For me it looks like making selection "scales down" mask to fit the screen - shifting everything and breaking real selection

Did you try look inside the mask? When you control-click on mask on 0:07 you get selection that DO NOT MATCH the content of THAT mask. When you click on second mask at 0:14 selection changes but masks are EXACTLY THE SAME inside. That is the problem.

Selection at start of your video does not match the content of mask, by two means - shape (look at ants end where white rectangle ends) and behaviour (you can draw on the half that is BLACK)

It does not matter what is bigger or not. There is tons of methods for creating masks (this was made by wand selection), they all ok, it`s up to user how to make masks. But control click just should MATCH THE CONTENT of the mask. Under any circumstances :)

Sorry, you are trying to "explain" things that do not relate to problem. Any masks are fine, bigger, smaller, whatever. 

I just want to get selection that match the mask. By Control-click - which is a normal operation existing anywhere - in gimp, krita, photoshop, whatever, and it always do the same. Makes the selection that MUST match the mask, on which icon i clicked.

In video you can see this is not the case, selection is wrong. Mask can be bigger, but if you look into it - it half white (top half) and half black (bottom half). Selection from this mask MUST be the same, since this is what you can see in this mask. But selection is something different, so currently is not possible to get the selection that matching the mask clicked - when this mask is inside clipping stack. Looks like a bug //

10 hours ago, IPv6 said:

I have a mask that is half of canvas black and half of canvas white. But control-click on it makes selection for a full document size, not a half (as expected). This happens when mask is a part of group clipping, when the same mask is removed from clipping - control click is ok. But it should behave the same in both cases - since i`m clickin on the mask and expect the content of the mask to be used as selection

Look at video, file attached also

Screen Recording 2022-12-29 at 13.37.48.mov 25.02 MB · 7 downloads

mask-selection-bug.afphoto

Still trying to understand what you are trying to achieve, you are trying to use a selection to restrict your painting area AND use a mask to do the same when it is more usual to select one or the other method.

In your document simply CMD+CLICK the christmas layer ALONE creates a pixel selection of the upper section.

Not sure why you would be trying to create a pixel selection from the mask layer by CMD clicking that layer which because of the grouping is treat as trying to make a selection from the mask AND the christmas layer. This is how Affinity works.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

you are trying to use a selection to restrict your painting area AND use a mask to do the same

i am trying to create a selection from mask, not to "use a mask to do the same". masks here do not have any specific purpuses - just as a layer for creating selection.

> In your document simply CMD+CLICK the christmas layer ALONE creates a pixel selection of the upper section

yep, this part working ok, as mentioned

which because of the grouping is treat as trying to make a selection from the mask

i see... do you mean that first control click (whick makes wrong selection) is making the selection of GROUP, not the mask?
That partly makes sense, finally! i mean why all the confusion.

BUT if user wish to make selection from GROUP - user will click on icon of GROUP, intentionaly. Clicking on icon of MASK should create selection based on MASK, not a group, even inside clipping stack. In this file mask in clipping stack of group is exactly the same as mask outside the group, selections should be the same.

This is how it worked in v1 (as far as i remeber - can be wrong here) and this is how it works elsewhere. 

CMD-click on mask icon should give the same selection - regardless where it placed. CMD-clicking on mask depicts intention to use the layer as selection source, why users should take into account specific conditions? it`s a layer, layer has icon, clicking on icon of layer should always give the same outcome based on that layer content.

Selection of GROUP should be created only by clicking on icon of the GROUP itself - not a mask somewhere inside it. This is how it generally should work. Or we get strange situation that if i have some unique mask in group clipping stack AND wish to make a selection out of it - the only choice i have is to move the mask out of group first (to avoid mistakenly get group selection), then CMD-click it and then move back. This is quite a strange workflow, don`t you think?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @IPv6,

There is something unusual happening when you CMD + Click your clipped/grouped mask, I'm experiencing the same behaviour as you originally described and this works as expected when the mask is moved outside the group.

Strangely, If I move the mask outside of the group and then back in immediately and then CMD + click, this then selects only the top half, as expected. Is this the same for you?

How was the mask originally created?

@NathanC the mask was created by wand selection over layer with vector rectangle. So it a rectangular selection in the form of rectangle, visually it is ok. This is the stripped down version of bigger file, just to show the problem. i literally copy-pasted this layer from initial file to this one to illustrate the bug (imho - unexpected selection feels like a "bug")

i already see this problem with other masks - looks like cmd-click on mask gets intersected with some kind of bound of content of group (which should not happen)
It happens only when mask bounds are bigger than inner layer. When inner layer bounds are bigger - selection works ok.

You can just manually erase a line in white mask to see this, look at attached video

test.afphoto