You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can no longer open either Affinity Photo or Designer V1 on my Windows 10-64 bit PC anymore

Hi I've just gone to open Photo v1 and it opens the intro screen window but then disappears and nothing loads from there, does exactly the same with Designer v1 I have.

Was working OK last time I used it a week or so ago, Windows updated the other day though could this of effected it, anyway any ideas of getting it to work again.

Just thinking I've swapped over a storage drive 500gb ssd to a 2TB ssd there was some folders saying temp or something I didn't copy over could this be related but software was installed on c drive and not changed this.

Phil

Edited by Chillr2021
something else I needed to put in

Does the Taskbar application icon stay ‘highlighted’ or does it get ‘de-highlighted’ after a certain amount of time?
In other words, does the application launch and ‘just sit there’ or does it launch and then ‘just go away’?

If the application launches and ‘just sits there’ then, if you were using more than one monitor previously, then the application window may be ‘sitting on’ a different monitor which is currently not switched on and/or plugged in.

39 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Does the Taskbar application icon stay ‘highlighted’ or does it get ‘de-highlighted’ after a certain amount of time?
In other words, does the application launch and ‘just sit there’ or does it launch and then ‘just go away’?

If the application launches and ‘just sits there’ then, if you were using more than one monitor previously, then the application window may be ‘sitting on’ a different monitor which is currently not switched on and/or plugged in.

No it flashes on the taskbar for like 1 second and just opens the affinity photo starter window black with a jellyfish is it  for 2 or 3 seconds then disappears and that's it.

I only have one monitor.

Oh well, that would have been a quick fix if that was all it was.

Have you looked through the FAQs?
I’m wondering if the Windows update has done something and, if I remember correctly, the FAQs mention various ‘fixes’ for various Windows update issues.

So just to say I've got it working again, it was this old SSD 500GB drive I had set to also be my temp directory as my OS drive is only 120GB so I'd moved temp director over to my old SSD to save space on my OS drive and daftly not copied and changed the path when I replaced my drive to this new 2TB SSD

I'd also had a corrupt windows update that stopped my hibernation mode working so that also I got sorted now.

Thanks for the help.

Phil

Totally not your fault David cause I should of thought what this was going to do, but yeah all my settings have been lost with doing the ctrl before starting it, I should of realized it would do this but hastily wanted to try anything to get it to work again, sadly can't remember how I had things arranged and now its all back to default settings and just will take a lot of getting used to to try and remember were things where the way I used to have it all.

Still major plus its working again, just remember when pressing ctrl when starting again to read settings fully before going ahead if you want to keep your settings.

OMG this gets worse all my fav fonts are gone too, these took me so long to add in favourites, is there no way of recovering this reset from pressing ctrl, I have lots of fonts and had all my favs easily accessed and now all gone, so pissed off at myself for not looking at what I was pressing.

Now even worse, jeez this just isn't my day, so tried to export something and it crashed, opened it back up again and all the changes I'd made with arranging the tools are back to default again. Is this a setting that each time the program starts it reverts to default, I don't remember it ever doing this before and can't find any setting.

I am very new to Affinity so I dont have anything configured outside the defaults right now.  I am a 10+ year user of Photoshop, which I still love, but I also enjoy finding alternatives like Affinity to see what they have to offer, and how they compare with my current default apps.  The Windows update that caused this issue for me with Affinity, has also caused many other issues with apps like Edge, SnagIT, and many others.  It has really messed me up and I am trying to figure out which update caused this.  I really hope you can restore your lost items though, I know how much of a pain that can be.

On 12/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, David Pegram said:

I am very new to Affinity so I dont have anything configured outside the defaults right now.  I am a 10+ year user of Photoshop, which I still love, but I also enjoy finding alternatives like Affinity to see what they have to offer, and how they compare with my current default apps.  The Windows update that caused this issue for me with Affinity, has also caused many other issues with apps like Edge, SnagIT, and many others.  It has really messed me up and I am trying to figure out which update caused this.  I really hope you can restore your lost items though, I know how much of a pain that can be.

Hope you get your issues sorted too, I'll have to just build my favs up over time again, memory like a sieve and far too many fonts is my problem.