You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lag!!!! when dragging layers (vs adobe illustrator)

8 minutes ago, LeviBenisty said:

plz help me figure out why this lags so much, with one group it start lagging badly. 

i have my i7 7700 and 16gb ram with gtx 1050. this is not that bad of a setup to work with

in the vid u can see how illustrator handle performance

is thare any setting i could change to make it better??? let me know. 

Hello @LeviBenisty and welcome to the forum.

Do you have hardware acceleration turned on in AD's preference? If so try to turn it off to see if it makes a difference.

Also I see you are moving a group but I cannot tell how complex that group is. It should not make a big difference but at the moment we have to consider everything to sort things out.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I've also found that snapping and it's settings can also make a big difference to how smooth the dragging motion can be. Maybe turn it off as a test and see if that is playing a part in this. If you find that things are smoother with it off then maybe try turning it back on and then toggling options within the snapping settings.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

I've also found that snapping and it's settings can also make a big difference to how smooth the dragging motion can be. Maybe turn it off as a test and see if that is playing a part in this. If you find that things are smoother with it off then maybe try turning it back on and then toggling options within the snapping settings.

i tried turn snapping off. nothing change. 

42 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hello @LeviBenisty and welcome to the forum.

Do you have hardware acceleration turned on in AD's preference? If so try to turn it off to see if it makes a difference.

Also I see you are moving a group but I cannot tell how complex that group is. It should not make a big difference but at the moment we have to consider everything to sort things out.

d.

well tried to turn it off but didnt see huge difference 

i will check it later again to see if it helps

1 hour ago, LeviBenisty said:

i will check it later again to see if it helps

Hi @LeviBenisty,

I did a test on my (Windows) system and if setting 'Retina rendering' to 'High quality (Slowest)' I do notice a little lag that might be similar to what you are seeing. Maybe you can check this setting?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

49 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @LeviBenisty,

I did a test on my (Windows) system and if setting 'Retina rendering' to 'High quality (Slowest)' I do notice a little lag that might be similar to what you are seeing. Maybe you can check this setting?

d.

i also checked this setting, 

from what ive noticed, its mostly smoth in the first few minuts and after that start to lag a bit, i also saw big jump on cpu usage when i moved groups 

(again, compre to illustrator...) 

i was on the default settings when posting this

for now ill try to use the Low quality to see if it helps. thanks! 

image.png.a2c882015a3b3b26ad230b51a235ef84.png

@LeviBenisty, in your last screenshot, you have hardware acceleration enabled. Have you tried with that disabled yet?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, LeviBenisty said:

from what ive noticed, its mostly smoth in the first few minuts and after that start to lag a bit

OK, I did not do a longer test. This may be a factor, too.

It would be worth checking if you have any background activities going on. Even if they don't affect other applications this could be a source for the lag.

d.

• 1 month later...