You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User Interface Issues Intermittent

Hi,

I've had to uninstall and reinstall Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo a few times now. Earlier this year, to change operating systems from WIN to MAC. (I saw temp files that said Affinity "mount" <--------- is that a thing???

Recently, due to ongoing intermittent User Interface Issues, like User Preferences changing, Tools not working consistently. I looked around Finder Dirs and saw a "Sparkle.org" file within the contents of Affinity's folders and deleted. But still having issues.  Was working fine until I accessed the Internet this evening, then my Publisher document / template started "running Amok".  I had to meet with my partner to discuss future business and unfortunately, my presentation was no where near where it could have been if the program would function properly. Quite honestly, it was embarrassing.  I had to work hours to finish one page of the document on Friday and snailed through a meager 5 or so that still aren't up to par or showcase my abilities due to the tug of war I am having with the programs.  I have used Photoshop CS for many years, so am familiar with that interface which is similar, albeit different than Affinity.  The main problem is the User Interface preferences changing. Color Picker can be tricky to pick up on, but I am telling you that I could open one document and have ongooooooiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnng drama with it, then open a new document and it would work perfectly. I knew I had done it the same way!  There is an Apple Colour Picker in the system and I have noticed it on the User Interface panel for Affinity too.  Why use theirs?

I have validated my installations, etc.  Uninstalled and reinstalled directly through your website; Not Apple Store. That should be ok since Affinity is a verified developer anyway.

Mac Monterrey 12.6.2; Google Chrome.

If someone at Affinity needs to contact me by phone, please let me know and I will provide further information.

As it is right now, I cannot resize a layer that I actually did resize earlier.  Working from an INDD template.  I believe there was a layers option to unattach in edit mode that seems to work, as the layers in that template are "connected".  I don't know what the digital designer did when creating it but very specific areas for text, images, image placements etc. So the template is not a simple .PSD doc with groups that I am used to.  Like I said, OFF THE INTERNET, it was FUNCTIONING.  ON THE INTERNET, it started MISBEHAVING! ??????????????!!!!!!!!!! :)

For me, the eye dropper tool, colour picker are not consistent - I literally began looking for a script in Apple Finder!!!! Ha!  Then, writing down exactly my steps for changing a simple .PNG logo from black to white which took an HOUR!  This is leading me to think that the Affinity programs are "locked" (or hacked).  I have been a member of Affinity for a while now. If you all need to "vet my account" please give me a call :)

Hi 9001, and welcome to the forum.

There is a lot to unpack in your post, it's often better to write about each issue in a separate post because I might reply to one or two of your points and others may not bother opening the thread thinking I've answered your questions.

13 hours ago, affuser9001 said:

For me, the eye dropper tool, colour picker are not consistent - I literally began looking for a script in Apple Finder!!!! Ha!

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "not consistent" or "began looking for a script in Apple Finder".

For the Colour Picker Tool (eye dropper), ensure you read the Help page so you know how it works, perhaps you're expecting it to only pick up a colour instead of applying the picked up colour to the selection. If this isn't the issue please explain what you mean.

https://affinity.help/publisher2/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_clrpicker.html?title=Colour Picker Tool

writing down exactly my steps for changing a simple .PNG logo from black to white which took an HOUR!

Perhaps you could try the Layer > Invert command?

I looked around Finder Dirs and saw a "Sparkle.org" file within the contents of Affinity's folders and deleted. But still having issues. 

This is a really bad idea. You should never mess around inside of the package contents of a Mac application unless you're a developer and know what you're doing. Sparkle is an open source framework for macOS used to distribute updates. By deleting this folder from the application, you may have broken Affinity's ability to update itself. You should uninstall Affinity and re-install from scratch. I don't know why you'd expect an application to keep working after you've peeked inside the application and deleted parts of it you don't recognize.

14 hours ago, affuser9001 said:

The main problem is the User Interface preferences changing.

Version 2 is a major upgrade and there were changes to Preferences but they weren't so major that they're difficult to figure out. The main issue is that you have to set up your studio panels again since studio settings weren't carried over from version 1. Experienced users of version 1 will need to invest a bit of time setting up version 2 before starting production work in it.

There is an Apple Colour Picker in the system and I have noticed it on the User Interface panel for Affinity too.  Why use theirs?

A lot of people prefer the Apple Colour Picker so Serif offers it as an alternative. If you don't like it, don't use it.

As it is right now, I cannot resize a layer that I actually did resize earlier.  Working from an INDD template.  I believe there was a layers option to unattach in edit mode that seems to work, as the layers in that template are "connected".

To edit a Publisher layer on a regular page that's based on a master page, choose Layer > Master Page > Edit Detached.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...

Hi MikeTo,

Thanks so much for responding to my post.  Just getting back to the Forum here ...

Remarkably, after posting, the program began functioning properly - in particular Color Picker.  I could actually change colors of items using the color picker - QUICKLY. IT HAD BEEN FUNCTIONING VERY BUGGY!  "Intermittent" - sometimes the steps would work, sometimes the steps wouldn't work.  (We're talking same day)  When as a User, you can't change a color for over an hour using proper steps, there is an understanding that it IS a software issue - Affinity, Apple or Third Party.  Apple needs to "lock down" Applications and OSX Directories better. 

Fonts were also causing issues in the Publisher Document/Template as well - it was Helvetica.  I also deleted some others. How do I know this??  Because the font name changed visibly due to the hack/script not properly functioning.  The Font of Choice CHANGED to Helvetic in the panel - for no reason.  I also noticed changes in Characteristics.  WHY are fonts are still causing Users issues in software after all these years?! :)  In the past, I have disabled questionable Fonts to get things rolling again.  Perhaps something embedded in the template, fonts or 3rd Party script.

Personally, I don't believe it's a good idea for large software programs to use open source - But "Hello AI" - it's not going away.  Since I had upgraded/purchased 2.0 - there should not have been an update issue due to Sparkle.  So, you said Apple uses Sparkle to do software updates for Affinity? But Sparkle is on the Affinity side - Interesting.

Thanks for the instructions on Layer > Master Page > Edit Detached. You were correct. I was able to figure that out since I was using a template. Would be nice to have a GLOBAL edit detached mode when using templates.  Most people customize templates.  I made many, many changes and it was time consuming to have to change it constantly. Publisher is very new to me, so there is definitely a learning curve.  However, it takes a lot for me to post on a Forum.

When you say that Experienced Users of Version 1 will need time setting up Version 2 ... is there a video you can recommend on that?

I am also having other issues regarding clarity in Designer. (Pen Tool) So, I drew a circle same pts.  Then, later drew a little straight line and that line was not a clear for some reason.  This is another reason I question the integrity of User Settings | Preferences | etc  ...... ? So, when this type of bug is going on - I reset Tools.  Basically, the line does not look the same as the circle.  More time ...... Tool Resets do correct some of the issues.

Also, an issue aligning simple rectangles and separate layers of text (ex. "80%" on a narrow rectangle).  Literally, Publisher centered/aligned properly between the two original layers.  Then, I duplicated those layers and the text would not center align on the rectangle making the document look unprofessional. (Wondering if it has to do with the Layers being so close to each other and it's creating a software glitch. Since I copied those original layers multiple times, the text tool setup should have been exactly the same, correct?