You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo V 2.0.3 on Windows 10 - Export Dialogue too tall for laptop display - Export Button Hidden

Richard S

Bought & installed Affinity version 2.03 on a Windows 10 laptop with a 1366 x 768px display. This appeared to meet the Affinity tech specs.

Affinity version 1 had worked OK on this laptop.

But, on first use of Photo 2, the processed photo could not be "exported" using the File... Export dialogue:

The "Export" & "Cancel" buttons are hidden below the bottom of the new combined export dialogue. The height of the dialogue cannot be reduced by dragging & the dialogue cannot be repositioned to make these buttons visible. The trick of "Tabbing" through the various setting in this dialogue to reach the "export" button did not work because the tab sequence was not obvious.

See the attached screenshot.

Other dialogues in Affinity 2 may suffer from similar problems.

At present, this means that Affinity 2 is not usable on this ordinary Windows laptop.

This is a serious accessibility and usability issue.

Please consider making these buttons visible.

BTW. As is fairly common, the "display scaling" in Windows is set to 125% so as to make text readable on this laptop's small screen.

screenshot_2022-12-27.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard, are you still experiencing this problem?

At least on macOS, the Export window is scalable so I could make it smaller and use it on a screen that is 768px tall. Are you not able to scale the window smaller on Windows?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 12/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, Richard S said:

This is a serious accessibility and usability issue.

I'm curious what you have set in Windows for the Display Scaling amount? Perhaps Affinity isn't adjusting properly to the value you've chosen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi Richard, are you still experiencing this problem?

At least on macOS, the Export window is scalable so I could make it smaller and use it on a screen that is 768px tall. Are you not able to scale the window smaller on Windows?

Cheers

I guess, in 2023 we may expect that applications handle this scaling automatically...

On 1/14/2023 at 12:13 PM, MikeTO said:

On Windows, we can make the dialog bigger, but we cannot make it smaller.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows, we can make the dialog bigger, but we cannot make it smaller.

Then this sounds like a bug on Windows because Affinity is advertised as compatible with screens that are 768px tall.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

54 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Then this sounds like a bug on Windows because Affinity is advertised as compatible with screens that are 768px tall.

And it may well be compatible with them. But many users change the Windows Display Scaling, which increases the size of the dialogs. That's why I inquired about it above.

-- Walt
PC:

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And it may well be compatible with them. But many users change the Windows Display Scaling, which increases the size of the dialogs. That's why I inquired about it above.

Oh, I get it now.

• Staff

We need to know what the scaling is set to. The resolution, whilst technically fine is very close to min spec and the scaling will have a huge effect if not 100%. If the scaling is set to Recommended 100% it's something we need to address. Sadly, all the screens available to me are 4k and I've got just enough space to see the Export button. Perhaps Richard S is not using 100% scaling?

Recently another user  had  this problem. He solved it by using a different scaling. A lot of people think (maybe this is not the situation, but just in case) that you can only set Windows at 125% (yep, needed for a lot of laptops) and 100%. You can use "custom scaling" and set it at 115%, 111, 109, 120, 140 etc (btw, I tested all of these to work). Just, personal advice, don't use 102% or 110% . At those very specific (hopefully it's just those) scaling factors I discovered it crashes when double clicking the foreground/background color sample circles if I set at that DPI (don't know why). The ones (and surely any other number) I listed above work. Another users (actually, I believe 2 users) confirmed to solve the problem with 120%, and 115%, in their case. It's just clicking a blue link ('custom scaling/DPI' or 'advanced scaling', I think) below the place where you set your Windows scaling (in Windows Settings -> System -> Display, scrolling a bit). Screenshot below, sorry for the Spanish, but it is in the same location and items' order. Then you are carried to a new screen, where you type a custom scaling factor. Maybe 115% or 120% will suffice to show the button (and similar situations), but you might need to try several numbers until having one scaling factor that makes you most comfortable. It's often needed a Windows restart (reboot) after setting the scaling, to fully test it, though I have been able to test it without restarting. But to be sure it is taking it, it's best a restart. I'd try first 120 and 115, or anything in between, etc.

windows-scaling.png.a84b2b5972fc468220c60db7597b224f.png

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.