You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A simple task on Version 1 is not working at all on Version 2

12 minutes ago, François R said:

It is a "developed by Serif" algoritm issue I can easily reproduce on Mac. Also the font in the example... Arial. Not some shitty freeware font.

Cannot reproduce it in other programs.

I rest my case.

I cannot duplicate this exact behavior on my Mac using Arial or any other font I have tried. In every case, for me the only bug is that the result  has no stroke or fill & thus does not appear in the workspace window unless selected, but always does appear in ythe Layers panel.

So again, whatever is affecting your Mac setup, it does not affect mine (or I think Bruce's) in the same way so there must be some other, as yet undiscovered reason for the difference.

One possibility is a different OS version, so can you tell us which version are you using? And it still might help if you could upload a file with the text character(s) & the rectangle in it so we can test that on our systems to see if we get something similar.....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I cannot duplicate this exact behavior on my Mac using Arial or any other font I have tried. In every case, for me the only bug is that the result  has no stroke or fill & thus does not appear in the workspace window unless selected, but always does appear in ythe Layers panel.

So again, whatever is affecting your Mac setup, it does not affect mine (or I think Bruce's) in the same way so there must be some other, as yet undiscovered reason for the difference.

One possibility is a different OS version, so can you tell us which version are you using? And it still might help if you could upload a file with the text character(s) & the rectangle in it so we can test that on our systems to see if we get something similar.....

I running Windows 11 on a Dell Inspiron...

Walker Sign.zip

22 minutes ago, François R said:

I can easily reproduce on Mac

Never been able to get this to happen here with Mac OS 11.7 and using Arial or any of the other fonts I have. In version one or two of any of the Affinity applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@SWomack Not sure if this is what you want

I think @SWomack was trying to subtract an art text character from a Curves object, not one Curves object from another Curves object.

When I used the unzipped file from this post & subtracted, thie result I got was this Walker Sign result.afdesign file, which is what I would expect from that operation.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

[...] suggest that this is a Windows only bug. Or it could be a font specific bug [...]

That might be the problem. I'm on Windows (10) and I can reproduce the bug with the Windows standard fonts (e. g. Arial, Times, Comic Sans etc.). Thus far, it seems to be limited to those, if I use other fonts, the bug does not happen.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

I've been trying different things and am having problems such as others have reported, as well as not being able to subtract at all.

One thing I've noticed is that the shape of the letters affects the outcome. For example, in the picture below when the subtracting rectangle crosses the straight part of the letter, all seems well.

It's when it crosses a curved section where multiple nodes make up the letter shape that the problem arises.

subtract-3.png

The problem (making booleans between text (even as curves! that should not happen) and shape kind of impossible)  happens for me in Windows 10 Pro, all up to date.

I believe after "convert to curves", sth is left on the curves, some property or tag or whatever of the text element. Because when I set "Copy as SVG " (no restart needed) in preferences, and then copy, and "paste special"  "as SVG", the issue is gone, it does every boolean operation I tested just fine. I made a post now with the steps . But dunno if I'm missing sth about the  problem :

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Like others I had a hard time recreating the issue until I read Eddy-2's post. If I go over a curved part of the font it goes wonky. In AD v1 it worked fine. I tried compound in v2 as well and same issue. I figured out a workaround though that does not involve v1 or Inkscape. Convert your letter to curves, then click on Smooth Curve. Select your two objects and subtract and it should work

10751091_Recording2023-01-08at16_08_39.thumb.gif.45b3481fad1e44ce1a2f84ee354fb6a2.gif

But when you smooth the curves, you are only do one vertex/node . When converting to curves, you enter in nodes mode, but only one node will be selected),  you had only one selected. If you get all nodes selected, it modifies the shape (makes all corners round, probably also make several straight line curves), which is not desirable.  Edit: Apparently in some situations it smooths (deforms) the entire shape even if one vertex is only selected... not good, tho.

Edit: Sorry, nothing of the above makes sense (again, slept too little last night...). However, is not working here... (besides smooth deforms the shapes..)

Anyway, tested (with subtract) with several letters (a word. But also tried with one single letter...) and then the boolean/compound (and I guess neither knife and shapebuilder) does not work here... Does not work smoothing only one vertex, neither if smoothing all vertices, neither if not selecting anything, just hitting the smooth curve button like you did (I'd love to have a 3rd workaround, tho).

Are you using 2.0 or 2.0.3 ? 

Edit: tested  that it works on single letter, but it deforms and rounds all curves. But the subtract then work in that particular letter (an W). testing with Arial, and seems that letters with very straight lines are the most deformed (like Arial's capital W). Those with some curves, also get their vertices displaced and curves modified, but in some cases is less perceivable. 

It works also with several letters, convert to curves, then Geometry/Melt Curves, then smooth curve, then subtract. But it's also all deformed/rounded...I don't understand why it did not do it to your letter....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

It was actually a good idea, BlueLiner. If it had worked , we'd have now 3 ways, not just two, and the more, the merrier, as projects can be very different and there's never enough workarounds. Also, it somehow works (well, for some cases, from what I am seeing)  despite the fact that smooth curves, well, "smoothes"  the lines, and so this detail can give another clue to the developers.  :)😎 

Nothing to regret, at all!  :) 

• 1 month later...