You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

x-ray mode effect too weak

The x-ray mode is a great help and improvement. However I find the colors and contrast too weak to actually see what I am doing, especially when I am working with a bitmap image underneath as a reference image. Observation made on several both calibrated or great screens like an iPad Pro 2022 M2 model.

Could you please consider some settings in preferences that can be adjusted for x-ray mode. Transparency, Contrast, Vibrance, whatever you guys see fit for the purpose. Optimally it would be one slider and a clever label for the effect.

So this request is true to macOS as well.

Thanks

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

46 minutes ago, François R said:

The x-ray mode is a great help and improvement. However I find the colors and contrast too weak to actually see what I am doing, especially when I am working with a bitmap image underneath as a reference image. Observation made on several both calibrated or great screens like an iPad Pro 2022 M2 model.

Could you please consider some settings in preferences that can be adjusted for x-ray mode. Transparency, Contrast, Vibrance, whatever you guys see fit for the purpose. Optimally it would be one slider and a clever label for the effect.

So this request is true to macOS as well.

Thanks

Instead of x-ray mode which I’ve never  heard of as being used for reference purposes have you tried moving your image reference layer above and setting the layer opacity to a low value so that it is always visible while you work on a layer below. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Instead of x-ray mode which I’ve never  heard of as being used for reference purposes have you tried moving your image reference layer above and setting the layer opacity to a low value so that it is always visible while you work on a layer below

Hi @Paul Mudditt (and @DM1 )

Well, it's about time you got an example and an explanation, then. 🙂 

Yes of course I have - but the purpose of using outline and x-ray mode (lets call it enhanced outline) is to work with better performance and just the shape outlines when you are working on really, really complex documents with many layer effects. When I finish some really complex A1 or A2 sized documents with up to thousands of objects with FX, then x-ray and outline are really useful. And in that phase as well as all previous ones I still use reference images. Of course the really heavy work takes place on a desktop computer.

The outline mode in v1 was not of much use but now in v2 both the outline and x-ray mode are actually useful because they do show image references and bitmaps in general (faded) as well as the outlines. For reference purposes - so that's simply why the image is visible in x-ray mode - for referencing.

I just need it a bit less faded.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 3 months later...