You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedded images displayed with distracting grid in x-ray mode

François R

If I insert an embedded image into a document, it appears in x-ray mode with distracting grid that becomes more and more fine-meshed the more you zoom in.

It should not be displayed at all. It has no value.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

46 minutes ago, François R said:

If I insert an embedded image into a document, it appears in x-ray mode with distracting grid that becomes more and more fine-meshed the more you zoom in.

It should not be displayed at all. It has no value.

The grid you speak of is likely because you have transparent canvas set, turn that off and the cross hatching will vanish. 

34ED2CFE-4589-4598-99CF-83EC23A6442A.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

The grid you speak of is likely because you have transparent canvas set, turn that off and the cross hatching will vanish. 

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul, but it is not the cross hatching from the transparent canvas mode I see but this. The grid only appear inside the embedded image frame and they disappear when I rasterize the image making it a regular image.

IMG_0002.thumb.PNG.054a942aae94715e17451101d408e8a9.PNGIMG_0003.thumb.PNG.2ffa958c1cc65a534d7a9aa5c8e66eb4.PNGIMG_0004.thumb.PNG.824a63e19f43780153c1660e31bab229.PNG

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

5 minutes ago, François R said:

but it is not the cross hatching from the transparent canvas mode I see but this:

Looks like you have grids turned on. You can turn them off or simply tap preview which will hide them.

D4F44D55-FADF-4513-BD68-D705BEAB45AB.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

13 hours ago, DM1 said:

Looks like you have grids turned on. You can turn them off or simply tap preview which will hide them.

No, as I wrote:

The grid only appear inside the embedded image frame and they disappear when I rasterize the image making it a regular image.

You can clearly see it in my screenshots, the grid is only visible within the frame of the image - and it instantly disappears when I rasterize it. Further, it is only displayed in the image frame in outline and x-ray mode - it is not the regular grid - opening the embedded file in another tab also showed no grid is enabled in that file.

Here you see the image alone at 0% opacity in outline mode - just the grid - I made the image smaller so you can clearly see it is not the regular grid:

Nar.thumb.png.1f2a865dcb280e807464d25d8b7a8ac6.png

Alright, a bit of experimenting and I discovered that it only happens when I insert that particular PSD (Photoshop) file in Designer v2 on desktop or iPad. I opened it in Photoshop and no grid is enabled in Photoshop either.

Used replace in the image frame, replaced with a jpg version and the grid disappeared.

Try going back to what you had before and in the snapping settings try turning off “show snapping candidates”. 

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

5 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Try going back to what you had before and in the snapping settings try turning off “show snapping candidates”. 

Snapping was off as can be seen in the screenshots. But tried just in case; it doesn't make any difference and it would also be weird given that the PSD is pure bitmap without other layers than the bitmap.

I only see these lines in this particular PSD, then tried saving a PSD from Photoshop CC 2023 and exporting one from Photo v2 and they do not appear with grid when placed in Designer 2, viewed in x-ray or outline mode.

Kind of resolved for me now that I can see that it only appears in a single file and that I can easily bypass it if I encounter it again.

Hi @Serif

Here is a better clue - I see the grid turned on and off when I adjust the size or DPI. It is a low-res warning or a Publisher feature... x-ray view:

Has something to do with Page Box settings.

mouse.gif.f657357dc878d132f25f57e4d7e73a9f.gif

@Serif Also present in v1.10.6 - also notice the artifacts that can be observed in both v1 and v2.

mouse.gif.ed56d8f8e30243173d1dfa523e7cf82a.gif

18 minutes ago, François R said:

Also present in v1.10.6 - also notice the artifacts that can be observed in both v1 and v2.

Which is interesting as 1.10.6 doesn't have X-Ray mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Which is interesting as 1.10.6 doesn't have X-Ray mode.

I was expecting a comment like this one. 

As stated in previous posts, I see the grid in both outline and x-ray mode.

You can clearly see it in my screenshots, the grid is only visible within the frame of the image - and it instantly disappears when I rasterize it. Further, it is only displayed in the image frame in outline and x-ray mode - it is not the regular grid - opening the embedded file in another tab also showed no grid is enabled in that file.

So in v1.10.6 it is of course observed in... outline mode. ;-)

10 minutes ago, François R said:

As stated in previous posts, I see the grid in both outline and x-ray mode.

Sorry; missed that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry; missed that.

No problem 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, retrograde said:

Has anybody resolved this? Or is it a bug?

Dunno, can you replicate it as I have never been able to, partial screen recordings hasn't help and requests for example files has fell on deaf ears. If you can replicate it please upload your affinity file and a full screen recording of how you got to the possible defect.

Experienced the same irritating grid thing. I’m working with a Mac mini M2 Pro and experimented with different source images. There was something about an RGB 8…. file referenced elsewhere I read. My source image was made of several scans(EPSON 1640XL) and pieced together in Affinity Photo. Its dpi was 400.

Went and lowered the dpi to 300, and tried converting ICC profile, and exporting with embedded metadata UNchecked. It works! The metadata contained Epson scanner profile info. Now I can enjoy x-ray option as intended. NO grid Yes!

Hope this works for others.

ICC profile.png

Unchecked.png

7 hours ago, duh-G said:

Experienced the same irritating grid thing. I’m working with a Mac mini M2 Pro and experimented with different source images. There was something about an RGB 8…. file referenced elsewhere I read. My source image was made of several scans(EPSON 1640XL) and pieced together in Affinity Photo. Its dpi was 400.

Went and lowered the dpi to 300, and tried converting ICC profile, and exporting with embedded metadata UNchecked. It works! The metadata contained Epson scanner profile info. Now I can enjoy x-ray option as intended. NO grid Yes!

Hope this works for others.

ICC profile.png

Unchecked.png

Thanks @duh-G!