You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PNG issue

Did you set your Designer document to Transparent Background?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It would really help if you provide the actual afdesign file, and a screen recording / screenshot of the exact export settings including „more“, and by what method you checked the exported png wrt transparency.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you set your Designer document to Transparent Background?

Why would I? Theres nothing on my artboard. Just a shape. So if export it as a PNG the file should be exported in the size of my artboard with just the shape and a transparent BG. But its exporting the shape with a white bg. I have no white object the size of my bg though. Its just my shape on the artboard. 

2 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Affinity includes a white background if you export your file as a PNG? Why would it do that? Theres no white object. Its just the objects on the artboard so why wouldnt it just export the objects on the artboard.

The background isn't an object or layer. If Transparent Background isn't enabled in the New Document window or in Document Setup, the file will have a white background. The canvas will display the transparent checkerboard pattern if you're working with a transparent background.

13 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Wait. Affinity includes a white background if you export your file as a PNG? Why would it do that? Theres no white object. Its just the objects on the artboard so why wouldnt it just export the objects on the artboard.

If you don't set Transparent Background, then you're working with a white background. If you export the complete file, then it would be very surprising to not have a white background in the exported file. Of course, this also depends on your Export settings. If you just Select the objects, and Export with a setting that includes only the selection and not the background, then it shouldn't be white.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Affinity is quite inconsistent when it is exporting with or without matting of transparencies. In case of PNG it seems to follow the settings of the document, in case of PDF it ignores them.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.