You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.0.3 - Back to the old 'crash on font select' problem (Win 10)

AlanH

This had been fixed by the later versions of Suite v1, but reappeared yesterday on my Win 10 machine in Publisher v2.0.3 (but I assume Designer/Photo will do the same.)

The v1 update removal list is no longer relevant, so what do we do now for v2 on Win 10?

The only KB updates I have installed at present are: 5012170, 4598481,4593175,4586864,4577266,5003791,5000736,4562830

Suite apps are not usable at the moment due to this!

Cheers,

Alan

I would first check to see if Hardware Acceleration is on in Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch it off

It's a quick easy thing to check and can cause lots of random problems so always a good idea to eliminate it as a possible cause for a lot of issues

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It works flawlessly in my Windows 10.  Unrelated (or maybe not), but I noticed a huge improvement (in browsing the list but also the app's startup) when ensuring Windows fonts folder is on my SSD disk, and not in the HDD. Specially as I have tons of fonts, free and purchased.

Sometimes it can be a particular very heavy font (very complex), that maybe  the app is processing as it lists the fonts. What settings do you have in preferences-> performance (is not only due to Open CL), User Interface and Tools, can share the screenshots? Other times is directly a faulty font... Getting rid of it solves the issue (there have been cases here with 1.x, if I recall well).

(I would run SFC and DISM (command line Windows utilities), as affinity apps seem to be more sensitive to corrupt files, which for most users are never detected) 

And make sure it's not the graphic driver front (uninstall the driver well, install the newest driver for your card, restart, check then).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Thanks all for your suggestions:

First of all, today both PCs are behaving with the file that caused an immediate crash on font select. I have no idea why.

Machines' update history shows no quality (KB) updates since 14 Dec, i.e. before I last posted here.

@carl123  OK, I have switched that to 'off' on both machines, but as noted above, the file is now working OK on both platforms.

@blackstone  I suspect that would have been the case on mine if the 'bad' file had not started behaving.

@SrPx  Both my installations have SSDs as their system drives with OS and all fonts on board.

Graphics drivers are kept up to date, and the two platforms have different GPU cards (NVIDIA and AMD).

I will run SFC and DISM when I have time.

For the time being, I will monitor the situation for font crashes. I have no idea why the machines have both started behaving....

I'm curious to see if after running those utilities and everything, you don't ever see Affinity crashing with those files ever again.

If you have some version of that file (better if emptied of all specific content) that can be shared, I would like to test if it crashes my systems, and report it so here... even if now it does not crash your PCs anymore.

Edit: If it's not crashing anymore, could be the open cl being off, now....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @AlanH,

Are you still able to replicate this crash?  It's not something i've been able to replicate on Windows 10 or 11.  Could you check and see if you have a crash report dated for the 24th of December 2022?  To find the crash report, see here and if there is one, attach it here and i'll get it debugged to see if that shows where the issue was.