You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jitter in stroke width slider and input values are changed in 2.0.3.

Intuos5

I seem to unable to set the stroke size for my linework correctly, the values I input are changed and the slider jumps.

This is on Windows 10 22H2, Hardware acceleration is disabled. I am using a GTX 1070 (notebook version) with last standard GPU driver 472.84 (for some reason, I encounter bugs on the DCH drivers). But this never led to issues in Designer 1.9 and up. Nor did I see this in 2.0.0.

Possibly this known problem when you do not have Preferences set to show lines in pt units.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFD-6276

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 2:29 AM, walt.farrell said:

Possibly this known problem when you do not have Preferences set to show lines in pt units.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AFD-6276

Hi WALT,

No that is Not the Solution I am afraid,

i Wish it was that easy my friend, i have tried this with Pixels, Points, Millimeter, Inches and the Outline Does Not Work.

However this Kiwi can give you a Solution, that works ok, it is not perfect but it will get you thru until the Fix comes thru.

I'll start a fresh post so everyone can see it.

cheers Walt.

Kev

52 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

This works until fixed

Hi N.P.M,

Thanks for yr comment.

However I had already tried that, as that was the same problem in 2016.

I actually just popped in to post the same possible solution in case that works for any other designers:

"Preferences>User Interface, uncheck Show lines in points. On Document Setup set the Document Units to Pixels."

Thanks N.P.M heaps for taking the time to help, much appreciated.

At the moment I am using that work around I just posted and that is allowing me to at least get thru my work. I know

it is not ideal, but it's the only thing that is working for me

Cheers Kev

2 hours ago, Kev Borg said:

No that is Not the Solution I am afraid,

i Wish it was that easy my friend, i have tried this with Pixels, Points, Millimeter, Inches and the Outline Does Not Work.

This is your first appearance in this topic, and you have not described what problem you are having.

The issue being discussed here is not with the units chosen for the document, but with the Preference for how line dimensions are to be shown.

What problem are you having?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Yes, I know. But in that case it should work for @Kev Borg, so apparently they don't really have that problem?

-- Walt
PC:

On 12/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, Intuos5 said:

I seem to unable to set the stroke size for my linework correctly, the values I input are changed and the slider jumps.

This is on Windows 10 22H2, Hardware acceleration is disabled. I am using a GTX 1070 (notebook version) with last standard GPU driver 472.84 (for some reason, I encounter bugs on the DCH drivers). But this never led to issues in Designer 1.9 and up. Nor did I see this in 2.0.0.

Hi Intuos,

I just popped back in to let you know i did some more work on this outline problem.

This is for Designer 2.03. I have replicated what you have drawn, you are in Millimeters, RGB, when you use yr Pen tool and draw yr line,

and finish the shape you want with the Pen tool, instead of going up to the top right Stroke Panel whilst you have yr object selected,

and Pen tool still selected, like in yr bottom video, instead go to the Left Tool Panel and Select Pencil Tool, and go to the Top Stroke Menu on the Context Menu at Top,

When you get there, Click to Open Stroke drop down, then you can either use yr mouse wheel and scroll thru the outline sizes you want, or you can even type in the exact

outline size you want, whilst yr object nodes and pencil tool is selected, But Only at the top menu, it does No Work if you try and go back to the Stroke Panel at top right,

where you went in yr video in millimeters.

From what I have found, this problem is only occurring in Metric. Outline problems are Not occurring in Pixels as I can adjust all pixel outlines,

whether I use the top right stoke panel or the top context stroke outline option and I don't even have to select the pencil tool.

The only thing I would advise, is make sure your Document Settings set to millimeters is set and then also go to the Preferences

and then Tools and set the Nudge Distances to Millimeters as well so the two settings match each other.

Using this system, I can adjust all my outlines in both measurement systems, millimeters and pixels no problems at all now, even out to 3 decimal places.

and it works whether Im using a std box, rectangle, or a Hand drawn shape using the Pen Tool.

Im using Designer 2.03, Windows 11, Intel i9 9900X, RTX2080 nvidia, Corsair DDR3, Samsung 982 SSD's.

I hope this helps you out Intous as I know how frustrating this is, took me a long time to find a work around as im so far behind my work its not funny.

i'll keep an eye out, but if you do have problems do a reply and i'll get the message, so in summary Im using Pencil Tool in Metric and making sure my measurements systems Match in Doc Set Up and Pref's Tools Nudge Distance. Pixels is working fine now.

All the best

Cheers Kev

EDIT: Last thing, just make sure you have Line set to Points, turned OFF under User Interface in preferences.

I am also doing this with Hardware Acceleration Turned ON and Precise Clipping Turned ON.

I wish you good luck my friend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the 2.0.3 release of the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using those builds this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon