You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to stack Bias / Dark / Flat frames ?

Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with APh and the astrostacking workflow.

But I'm stumped when it comes to creating Master Bias / Master Flat / Master Dark frames.

I've spent the day shooting bias, darks and flats as individual frames, now I want to stack then to create Master files.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do that in APh ?

The 'Stack' button is inactive until Light frames are defined, and APh cannot be 'tricked' into stacking bias/darks/flat frames by pretending they are Light frames - it rejects all the images because they contain no stars.

So - how can APh be used to create Master Bias / Darks / Flats from individual frames ?

Many thanks,

Gary

• 5 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Gary.JONES said:

Still hoping that someone from Affinity can respond to this - James ??

Well if you want James to get attention for your help cry, then you should maybe make use of the forums "@" + username functionality -> @James Ritson. 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...

Hi Lee,

I have no trouble at all creating stacks - I've done hundreds of them.

The issue is that you can't stack flat / bias / dark frames, because AP expects images to contain stars so the images can be registered / aligned ...

Of course, this step is normally bypassed when stacking flat / bias / dark frames.

What we need is for AP to implement a way to stack flat / bias / dark frames by bypassing the registration /alignment step.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm replying to my own post in the hope it will get some attention ...

As things stand in AP, it is impossible to stack flat/bias/dark frames because AP insists on registering/aligning frames,
which cannot be done with compensation frames because they do not contain stars.

Can we have an option to bypass the registration/alignment steps so we can stack frames to create master bias/dark/flats ?

James - your thoughts on this ?

@James Ritson

5 hours ago, Didge said:

Anyone ?

It seems you have a feature request, as the help files explicitly state you need light frames to be able to use Astro stack

You posted in the questions section. The best course of action would be to create a new post in the feedback section of the forum.

Never the less, posts in that section probably get recognized by developers, but getting feedback is rarely observed.

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/index.html

Requirements

At minimum, a set of light frames must be added to the Files panel. It is recommended that you add calibration frames as well.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 4 weeks later...

When astro stacking, I typically stack L, R, G and B - typically done using, say, 180 sec. exp.time regardless of the filter.

For each stack I have to select the light files, the flats and add darks. It then spends some time to find hot/dark pixels in the Darks, calculating the final dark to use for corrections etc. For all 4 stacks I sit and watch it do that with the darks 4 times in a row. 

This step should could be bypassed if AP saved a "master Dark 180 sec" which is computed the first time, then the next 3 times I should just select the Master Dark insted of, say, 30 individual dark frames.

DSS does this.