You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tool bar on the top

Hi Guys

So my honestly opinion of version 1 and 2 on Ipad.

So far I am extremely happy with V2

Only 2 things I dont like at all!

Number 1
V2 has no quick "SAVE" button other than closing the drawing and saving on the list screen.

Number 2

See the 2 pictures

In V1 I could rest my hand the bottom of my table while editing nodes in vector comfortably.

Unfortunately in V2
I can not rest my hand and I have to continually hold it up hovering it up over half of my screen to use the same tools.

This is extremely tedious and time wasting

I wish they could fix this.

Not sure if they always around this?

20221222_121148.jpg

20221222_121108.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

For #1: Yes, they've changed how Saving works in 2.0, and again in 2.0.2 (or perhaps 2.0.3) to help prevent data loss and surprises in file content. It may change further.

For #2: If the problem is with the command controller, you can togggle it off in the Document (hamburger) menu. Or you can drag it elsewhere on the screen. Or, perhaps, changing your Preferences to left-handed mode would help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/24/2022 at 6:11 AM, Quentin Radsma said:

Hi Guys

So my honestly opinion of version 1 and 2 on Ipad.

So far I am extremely happy with V2

Only 2 things I dont like at all!

Number 1
V2 has no quick "SAVE" button other than closing the drawing and saving on the list screen.

Number 2

See the 2 pictures

In V1 I could rest my hand the bottom of my table while editing nodes in vector comfortably.

Unfortunately in V2
I can not rest my hand and I have to continually hold it up hovering it up over half of my screen to use the same tools.

I wish they could fix this.

Not sure if they always around this?

20221222_121148.jpg

20221222_121108.jpg

I  agree with your points and feel your pain.

The vers 2 is great, but missing some crucial elements from vers 1.

I am left handed and this editing panel (vers 1. on the  bottom) was way better, than present solution.

Right now, If i want to apply some effects. I have to navigate through these sliders and functions hidden, under the icons and the top toolbar.

I have to click multiple times, to switch to desirable tool. It's a waste of time and slow down my workflow.

I hope Serif will offer some option, where we can change the interface layout between v1 and v2

On 12/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, Quentin Radsma said:

Unfortunately in V2

This is why the app Procreate puts their context toolbar at the bottom of their interface. Putting the bar at the bottom allows the user to see their work and make the necessary changes they need to through the context toolbar. When you put the context toolbar at the top of the UI it forces the user to cover their work with their hand and do this back and forth hand removal to see the changes applied. Its tedious and time wasting. The new context toolbar in v2 should have never been moved to the top of the interface. Now the context toolbar in v2 has been split into sliders on the left side of the interface and users have to look to the left and the top to make their changes. Its wrong. You have us users looking everywhere for basic actions. All our actions were in this context toolbar in v1 at the bottom. It was all there and now in v2 youve just splitted the bar and made it harder for us. And then you remove the words to each button and were just supposed to know these new biohazard like icons. Its all wrong. The context toolbar should have stayed at the bottom and never been moved. The only work around is going back to using designer v1. 

Heres a photo of Procreates context toolbar at the bottom of their UI. 

Procreate Context Toolbar.PNG

12 hours ago, Artsketch said:

Serif, had anyone complained about the old iPad UI and requested this new UI?

Thats the thing! No body complained about the old UI and they made this change on their own. i know because I went through all the 32 forum pages of the affinity designer v1 feedback and no body requested this UI change or complained about the old v1 UI. So Serif made this new UI change. Theyre allowed to but they shouldnt have. They made a lot of changes that no body requested for v2.

3 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

i know because I went through all the 32 forum pages of the affinity designer v1 feedback

You would also need to look at the pages for Photo V1 feedback, and for Affinity Suite feedback.

5 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

They made a lot of changes that no body requested for v2.

As you mentioned, they are allowed to have their own ideas. They are certainly not restricted to implementing only ideas proposed by their external customers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You would also need to look at the pages for Photo V1 feedback, and for Affinity Suite feedback.

2 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

I didnt check there but if users did complain and they did make this UI change based on those complaints then we can now say that this UI change doesnt work. 

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As you mentioned, they are allowed to have their own ideas. They are certainly not restricted to implementing only ideas proposed by their external customers.

Exactly.