You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Photo, iPad v2) Document menu options missing; how do I save from inside the app?

Is there any way at ALL to "save" my work from inside the app?

Is there no "save", "save as", "save a copy" in the menu inside the app anymore? Do I have to close out my work, go to the home screen and tap "save" on the thumbnail of the file I'm working on? The Help says that there's options to Save, Save As, Save A Copy under the "Document" (hamburger) Menu in the Workspace, but I don't see it there.

Wow, I dunno, people... iPad v2 is looking really busted. I wish I'd waited.

4 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

Is there no "save", "save as", "save a copy" in the menu inside the app anymore

It’s been removed while addressing some problems with saving. Hopefully it will be returned at some stage.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

It’s probably not what you’re looking for, but the only way we can save from within the document is with external keyboard and shortcuts (cmd s for new save/ shift cmd s for new copy — we also can customise these). It’s a strange omission on the iPad to have no virtual options from within the document, and one of the reasons I had to start using an external keyboard.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

4 hours ago, iuli said:

It’s a strange omission on the iPad to have no virtual options from within the document, and one of the reasons I had to start using an external keyboard.

To me it's strange that the shortcuts still work; I think the developers neglected to disable them when they removed Save and Save a Copy from the Document menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, iuli said:

It’s probably not what you’re looking for, but the only way we can save from within the document is with external keyboard and shortcuts (cmd s for new save/ shift cmd s for new copy — we also can customise these). It’s a strange omission on the iPad to have no virtual options from within the document, and one of the reasons I had to start using an external keyboard.

I may have to break down and get an external BT keyboard for the pad, even though it's sort of "cheating". Typing on the iPad screen is far easier than my phone, but it can still get really awkward.

As OP said, the in-document save options are included in the iPad’s Help manual:

9E7E35E2-4FDB-431B-B906-FCF70E3A8E20.jpeg.90073c5b0cd67f25c43bfbe2097897d7.jpeg

Hopefully next year if Serif team will deem this topic worthwhile, we will get an official response on the matter :) 

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

1 hour ago, iuli said:

I’m not sure how exactly removing them would make your life using the software easier, since you clearly see no benefit in using them, and since they are essentially the same as saving from outside the document but would add unnecessary steps for no gain at all

The non-shortcut method was removed (as I understand it) because Saving from within the document does not work as many users think it does, and can lead to mis-matches between the Live Docs (sandbox) version and the on-disk version. Sometimes this has lead to data loss, and sometimes to confusion.

Saving solely from Live Docs may be inconvenient for you, but it eliminates these issues and helps keep your data safe, and in the files you think it is in.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, walt.farrell said:

The non-shortcut method was removed (as I understand it) because Saving from within the document does not work as many users think it does, and can lead to mis-matches between the Live Docs (sandbox) version and the on-disk version. Sometimes this has lead to data loss, and sometimes to confusion.

Saving solely from Live Docs may be inconvenient for you, but it eliminates these issues and helps keep your data safe, and in the files you think it is in.

Y'know, that's been the number one pain in the *ss in V1 right now, as nice as everything else is — saving my work is a crapshoot. I can't tell if it's saving my work to the file I named FileImWorkingOn.afphoto in the folder I want to save it in, or in its own folder with about a crapdillion numerically-appended copies of itself, where all my revs are in the file at the top of that list, which I end up opening and Saving A Copy Of to make absolutely sure my work is saved.

This file-saving scheme has resulted in near-disaster at least twice for me so far.

3 hours ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

I can't tell if it's saving my work to the file I named FileImWorkingOn.afphoto

The first time you save a file you get to name it, then navigate to any folder to store it. Further edits made and returning to Home screen you’ll see an [M] next to the file icons name. This is to indicate that while the sandbox “working” copy has been updated, the external version has not. Tap 3 bar menu (or swipe icon) and tap Save. The external file is now updated and the [M] no longer exists next to file icons name.

Saving As is similar to above but will create a new file each time. It won’t update the original external file. 

If you Open a saved “Copy”, Affinity will create a new file icon (internal file) replacing the old icon. Saved edits will update the external copy.

You also have an Import option. This creates a copy of the external file and Saves to a new external file (same a first time Save).

It seems to be working reliably but I don’t save to cloud so won’t comment on that.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/