You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I use a NAS that is programmed to shut down at a certain time (to save power when not in use). The problem is that when the server shuts down and the network location goes offline, none of the Affinity applications work, they don't open and I always get a popup saying: There was a problem connecting to the server “truenas”. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and then try again. What can I do in that case?

3 hours ago, swanbda said:

Teniendo exactamente el mismo problema. Hay otro hilo discutiendo esto también. Es un problema grave ya que ahora no puedo abrir ninguna de mis aplicaciones de afinidad en la computadora de mi trabajo. Necesito una solución lo antes posible, por favor, Serif.

Try this.
Start Affinity by holding down the control key
And on the screen that appears, press only the same thing that I put in the photo.
It worked for me. Previously you have to delete the list of recent files, but for that you need Affinity to work.

Captura de pantalla 2022-12-28 a las 17.37.13.png

1 hour ago, swanbda said:

Lamentablemente, esto no funciona para mí. Lo he intentado varias veces, la aplicación simplemente se congela. 

In my case it worked after doing what you see in the image.
Of course, for that it is necessary to be able to open Affinity with the means that were used, but if it is not possible, I think there is no solution, at least I do not know it. Lucky!

Captura de pantalla 2022-12-30 a las 16.28.11.png

55 minutes ago, Tadd said:

Of course, for that it is necessary to be able to open Affinity with the means that were used, but if it is not possible, I think there is no solution, at least I do not know it.

On Mac, as far as I can tell, there is nowadays no more immediately visible preference file with the list of recent documents, at least not since El Capitan. (Previously it would have been in plist files that contain e.g. "LSSharedFileList" or "RecentItems" or something like that.)

So what you can try is to reset the recent documents list globally, either from System Preferences > General > Recent Items (set to None and perhaps reboot the Mac to be sure it cleans up), or use a utility like Onyx that also has a global "Delete Recent Items" command.

Proceed at your own risk, however…

~~~

Another thought:

What happens if your Mac is actually offline? As in, you know, totally disconnected from Teh Interwebz and LAN, no matter how unimaginable that may seem…? ;) 
Because in such a case, an application shouldn't be even trying to connect to a server and simply just ignore such a request.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

SUCCESS! 

Resetting globally, then restarting the computer, and then opening the apps with no wifi or LAN worked. It STILL did try to connect to the server, but after about 30 clicks of 'OK', the apps finally opened. Have quit them and reopened a few times now and they seem to be back working normally.

Thanks for that suggestion. A combination of that, and I guess me outlasting the app still trying to connect to the server finally worked.

41 minutes ago, loukash said:

On Mac, as far as I can tell, there is nowadays no more immediately visible preference file with the list of recent documents, at least not since El Capitan. (Previously it would have been in plist files that contain e.g. "LSSharedFileList" or "RecentItems" or something like that.)

So what you can try is to reset the recent documents list globally, either from System Preferences > General > Recent Items (set to None and perhaps reboot the Mac to be sure it cleans up), or use a utility like Onyx that also has a global "Delete Recent Items" command.

Proceed at your own risk, however…

~~~

Another thought:

What happens if your Mac is actually offline? As in, you know, totally disconnected from Teh Interwebz and LAN, no matter how unimaginable that may seem…? ;) 
Because in such a case, an application shouldn't be even trying to connect to a server and simply just ignore such a request.

26 minutes ago, swanbda said:

after about 30 clicks of 'OK', the apps finally opened.

That may have matched 30 recent items residing on an unavailable server… ;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a QNAP NAS and the NAS is on and works fine for every other application, even Affinity Photo, but Affinity Designer 2 will not open, hangs every time, and then a pop-up appears, "Trouble connecting to the server." But the server is fine. It's working for everything else. Affinity Designer 1 works fine, too.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, JEH said:

Photo 2 won't open anything for me - everytime I try I get the dialog below - trying to connect to ...itself!!!

Clicking OK just brings back this dialog until I Force Quit Photo.

image.png.b2ce6e63c407efe5689e1998fc284fab.png

Well, I just deleted the entire folder at ~Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2 and that got it working again.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...