You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo v2 with update 2.0.3 crashes with white balance adjustment in develop persona

Tom Organ

Hello

Since I downloaded the update 2.03, the program crashes immediately when I use the white balance adjustment in the develop persona. This is an adjustment I use frequently, but now I have to leave the develop persona and use an adjustment layer. I've been a fan of affinity photo for a few years, and didn't hesitate to purchase version 2. I live near Port Franks Ontario Ca. and I am a member of the Port Franks Camera Club. I'm the only member that uses affinity and have been promoting your product to the other members. On Jan. 23 at our club meeting I have been tasked with presenting a demonstration of Affinity Photo. It would be helpful if you could direct me to some online videos that could help me or that I could include in my presentation. 

Thanks 

Tom Organ

Do you have a sample raw image you can upload here to test.

White balance in develop mode works fine on my sample raw images macOS Ventura, M1 Mac Mini and I can also test on Macbook macOS Big Sur.

If not might be worth changing the raw engine Apple Raw -> Serif Labs or vice versa to see if that makes a difference.

Also since V2 is a new software you can still have V1 installed and switch to that in case of a problem.

V1 Tutorials https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZ7Y0kROWitoJtnw0pdvjPmS8mYGvrBR

V2 Tutorials https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw

V2 Creative Sessions: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZ7Y0kROWivwsE5fHsyLbfPLZe_BxL69

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 08.08.52.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Same here. Doesn't matter which kind of picture is opened: raw, tiff, jpg - every time you touch the white balance the whole program crashes. Even the change of raw engine doesn't help. And honestly: for an affinity fan it's more than a mediocre proposal to switch back to V01 as white balance is an essential function to all photographers ...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Tom G. said:

Same here. Doesn't matter which kind of picture is opened: raw, tiff, jpg - every time you touch the white balance the whole program crashes. Even the change of raw engine doesn't help. 

I can confirm that.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi,

I have this problem with crash (JPG and RAW), too. 

When I open RAW is automatically in Develop persona mode and modifing value of White Balance works fine (values after opening the photo are Temperature x K and Tint 3%), but if I confirm changes (by Develop button) and activated Develop persona mode again is crashed after modifying values of White Balance (values after opening Develop mode in second time are Temperature 0% and Tint 0%)

I used version 2.0.3 on macbook with M1 Pro (Mac OS: Ventura 13.1).

On 12/27/2022 at 5:02 AM, Tom G. said:

quite an investment to make whitebalance run 😁

Well, I figured if I really wanted to test it out thoroughly, what better way than to purchase a $4,500.00 laptop and really run it through it's paces? Now that I've confirmed that it doesn't crash, I can go back to using my regular laptop.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:10 AM, Tom G. said:

Same here. Doesn't matter which kind of picture is opened: raw, tiff, jpg - every time you touch the white balance the whole program crashes. Even the change of raw engine doesn't help. And honestly: for an affinity fan it's more than a mediocre proposal to switch back to V01 as white balance is an essential function to all photographers ...

Same thing here. On a Macbook Air M1 running macOS 12.6.2.

• Staff

thanks for your report, yes this is a know regression in 2.0.3 that will be fixed in a 2.0.4 patch coming soon

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 2:27 PM, Puck said:

I can confirm that.

I have to correct myself: with Nikon NEF files (D90 / D80) it works. But not with already developed images like jpegs or tiffs.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi.  Got the same problem.  right nuisance as no record kept of where you were,   white balance does not effect it if no adjustment has been made,  but make a few adjustments then use white balance and bang programme closed. :((.  very annoying 

2020 MacBookPro.  Os  Ventura 13.1

• Staff

@Juventas

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

It is possible on Windows and macOS to download previous builds of Affinity Store software

Photo 2 for Windows

Photo 2 for macOS

It's not possible on iPad or on Mac app store or the iPad store. 2.0.4 that fixes this will be released very soon.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Seems odd that this error was allowed to slip through the net and cause such annoyance  we all use white balance at some point, sooner the better a patch is released to hopefully solve the problem,

Apart from this Affinity has been and will be a great post edit programme

Regards

4 hours ago, suwoo said:

I am having the same problem. I have just purchased Affinity Photo 2 for my Mac running Monterey 12.5.1. Every time I go to adjust the White Balance in Develop Persona the program crashes.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please see the discussion earlier in this topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Same problem. First impression of my new purchase is not too good. I had problems with the login after my purchase. The apps from the App store didn't work, I had to download .dmg files from the website. That worked. But one thing I need from a photo editor is to change white balance.  I work on a iMac Pro with macOS Monterey Version 12.6.2

Edited by Flinq

2 minutes ago, Flinq said:

Same problem. First impression of my new purchase is not too good.

As mentioned above this is a known issue and will be fixed very soon.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 1/23/2023 at 11:58 PM, Patrick Connor said:

It is possible on Windows and macOS to download previous builds of Affinity Store software

Thank you Patrick.  I was able to install 2.0.0 and it works fine.  I ended up buying the software a result.  I hope you get a commission!

I do think that they should offer 2.0.2 as an option, or perhaps pull the 2.0.3 release.  If I hadn't have found this forum and taken the time to ask for an old version, I would have moved onto evaluating something else.  It's been over a month now that this is a known issue?

Edited by Juventas