You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consider changing the unnecessary precision when opening the stroke color chooser tool

Thank you for reading.

Problem!

Tiny Active Donut Shape Target: Over the years with the apps, I've always felt unnecessary having to precisely double-click the very tiny donut shape in order to open the Color Chooser Tool when editing the stroke color. You'll sometimes find yourself clicking many times to change the stroke color because you may have missed the target (like clicking the hole in the center).

Solution!

Make it work like the fill: So, I would suggest the Affinity Team to make the whole circle functional, that way we just have to double-click the circle to open the Color Chooser Tool to edit the stroke color, like how the fill already works. That's the way most programs do it (Illustrator, Figma, etc.). Please guys! It's easier. And it seems like veeeery tiny fix.

Additional Notes

Retain the donut the shape but with solid active area: Because I imagine and understand that the donut shape is for easy recognition, what I want is having the same shape but with a solid active area. There are some design apps that have the exact design but don't make you precisely click the donut itself. That's why the design below retains the donut shape.

Stroke@2x.png

Edited by THEDZKO
Additional Notes

I agree. They do not have the Donut for the Stroke/Outline in Photo. Both are solid circles. The only reason that comes to mind for this, is Designer works primarily with Vectors, and Photo works with Pixels, and they want to distinguish between the vector stroke and pixel outlines???

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

40 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I agree. They do not have the Donut for the Stroke/Outline in Photo. Both are solid circles. The only reason that comes to mind for this, is Designer works primarily with Vectors, and Photo works with Pixels, and they want to distinguish between the vector stroke and pixel outlines???

You're right. I actually didn't paid attention to the option in Photo, but yes, the most reasonable explanation as to why they have different shapes is for easy recognition. So, because of that, I would like for Designer to retain the donut design but with a solid active area. I've seen some apps with the exact same design, but they don't make you precisely click the donut shape, you just click the circle and that's all.

I know this doesn't help your situation, I don't have a problem selecting the stroke color (donut). There's always the Context toolbar for changing the color of the stroke.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

6 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I know this doesn't help your situation, I don't have a problem selecting the stroke color (donut). There's always the Context toolbar for changing the color of the stroke.

Oh, don't worry, it's not really a problem for me.

And yeah, I use the context bar more often. It's just that it seems to me like it's an unnecessary behavior. One that could, and should, be easily fixed. 

Thank you for your attention!