You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(2.0.3) Odd white lines on left and top of edit zone

Linkyop

I think it  is solved by marking the checkbox in preferences-> performance-> Use precise something, just below "gradients something". Sorry :D  I have the UI in Spanish.

Edit: Ok, sorry. "Precise clipping" I think it is. You might want to give it a go...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I am pretty sure that those "lines" are showing you the canvas size/shape/location.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It could just be a rendering artefact. If you zoom in or out it should disappear. And come back at certain zoom levels.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

All I can say is that it works here with both light and dark interface. I include a pair of screenshots of  a large rectangle coloured to match the dark interface that is much larger than the canvas. These are from the exact same location in the interface.

1168466104_ScreenShot2022-12-24at9_41_15AM.png.4b6ddf91cbe72cb627cd45b8ddbfdc2c.png

1697417814_ScreenShot2022-12-24at9_41_23AM.png.a81340580eb6cbba3f88ce0ab60943d0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/24/2022 at 3:50 AM, SrPx said:

I think it  is solved by marking the checkbox in preferences-> performance-> Use precise something, just below "gradients something". Sorry :D  I have the UI in Spanish.

Edit: Ok, sorry. "Precise clipping" I think it is. You might want to give it a go...

Thank you for your suggestion, but your method doesn't work at all.

If it works on your computer, could you show us some screenshots or videos. Thanks.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, Old Bruce said:

I am pretty sure that those "lines" are showing you the canvas size/shape/location.

Thank you for your concern about this issue, but I don't agree with your point of view. The location and scope of artboard should not be expressed by the outlines. Because for designers, it interferes our judgment on the design content. Besides, there is almost no other design tools such as AI, PS, Figma work like this. Their “artboards” have no such oulines.

This is definitely a bug.

4 hours ago, seabirdr said:

Thank you for your suggestion, but your method doesn't work at all.

If it works on your computer, could you show us some screenshots or videos. Thanks.

It was just an idea to test (trying to help the case) as it is kind of related, not a problem I have for my workflows on my computers.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

It's one pixel border that the UI adds there, not sure if same light grey always, or it adjust to whatever the background area color is, and the art board's fill color. And yeah, surely due to the zoom optimization,  internal engine or sth, the 1px border does not display well in many zoom factors, and even it's random (sometimes displays well in 100%, sometimes does not).

So, it strongly depends on what is the workflow that you need. IE; I can see how this is kind of an issue to show a client as a screenshot of all the art boards if it's presentation level, and while one could apply a macro (within or outside Affinity) to automatically replace the pesky lines in a PNG/final pdf, I can see it as an inconvenience if ones is pretending to present a pixel perfect look of UI/responsive web templates etc.

I see several tricks which would serve for me UNTIL there's developed a preferences' option to not have it at all, to get rid of it (even if the default is being "on" for the more newbie people, or using white work areas), or at least to force the four edges to display at all zooms, or at least every 5% or 10%. But yep, better, to be able to tick sth in preferences to get rid of it and let just the contrast between the background area and the content (it's quite less noticeable, probably, if  your artboard is the transparent checker board (needing then your document in document properties to be transparent, but that's a rare use case for many)).

So, the next tricks I see are specially for those who are not worried for exact pixels really "being there" if barely noticed, or if can live working mostly with certain zooms.

So, workflow 1 (again, this is a trick, not a solution. The solution is an option in preferences to disable it in the future, imo) :

If you zoom with the magnifying glass 🔍 , or clicking Z key (usually if you didn't change it) by dragging left and right with left click pressed, you will see that it blocks magnetically (nice thing, btw) at 100% and 50%. Sadly not at 25%, 125% and 150%. And with  this issue, it would be good (even if not by default) every 10%, IF happening like in the following, too. Well, the nice thing is that when it blocks in those zoom factors while dragging so the magnifying glass, you'll see that for an  instant, almost unnoticeable, it looks weird like is happening to you, with two edges almost not visible, but instantly you see the 4 edges in exact perfect same width. If you can deal with screenshots (if that was the purpose) at 100% or 50%, then you are good to go. Or, if it's for comfort, while organizing art boards, working at 50% or 100%, by using the magnifier glass for zooming.  

Edit: Note that you can add a magnifier glass  icon, and a "hand" icon manually by using menu "View --> customize tools", almost last option of that menu. By just drag and dropping the icons over the vertical toolbar. Also, those "non grouped" versions of the amplifier and the hand tools, DO allow double click on amplifier for a 1:1 (100%) zoom, and double click on hand icon of a zoom to "fit the desktop".

3 minutes ago, Linkyop said:

I prefer to wait for a fix for this as this is simply a bug which happens not only for me as we see.

Well... I definitely can replicate the behavior, whether it is a bug or not, it happens in my side.

It happens also with any canvas, from what I am seeing, not just with art boards.

I normally have Clip to Canvas enabled (View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas), which produces borders on the top and left sides of the canvas. When Clip to Canvas is disabled, borders appear on all four sides of the canvas, which I'm assuming is the intended behavior.

There is an issue with Clip to Canvas — when it's enabled, the top/left borders are thinner than the borders that display when Clip to Canvas is disabled... so it appears that the borders are not being completely clipped.

Clip to Canvas enabled

image.thumb.png.6c55eb10d2270478ef08cca2c7b77a21.png

Clip to Canvas disabled

image.thumb.png.ca0e6ced30f900a9f1ffa2fd9ea95fe8.png

This is a "gift" for you from "Serif Labs" - a gift that keeps on giving - I believe one of their developers described the problem as almost inevitable in a thread about similar artifacts. But I may be remembering wrongly on the subject.

I don't experience the problem in any of my other graphics programs, so I'm thinking it's a Christmas miracle that other programs steer clear, should it really be unavoidable or unreasonably complex to solve.

My subconscious has mercy on me and filters it out, just like when I spot Nescafé on the supermarket shelves.

But it is not always easy to ignore:

mouse.gif.7355f224a8ab46b4c9f3ad4509f55dee.gif

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

10 hours ago, Linkyop said:

ALMOST, the keyword.
Somehow Designer 1 and Photo 2 doesn't have this issue.

They had/have it elsewhere in the rendering of objects.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...