Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

msix is why I am not buying this

tl;dr -- I am not buying this because the installation files are msix files.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v.22H2 (build 19045.2364)
Affinity Publisher, Photo, and Designer

I have been researching the Affinity suite for the past few days, and I installed the trial version to see how well affinity Publisher works with *.indl files exported from InDesign. I had intended to do the same with Affinity Photo and my *.psd files.

1) "affinity-publisher-2.0.3.msix" refused to install (if you think you have a 99% installation success rate, you are not paying attention).

2) I unzipped (with 7zip) "affinity-publisher-2.0.3.msix" to "D:\Documents\Downloads\affinity-designer-2.0.3\".

3) I created a directory "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\".

4) I copied the files from "D:\Documents\Downloads\affinity-designer-2.0.3\App" to "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\"

5) I ran "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\Publisher.exe".

6) I opened a couple of test *.indl files and re-saved them as Affinity Publisher files.

Yes, steps 1 to 4 worked, but it's a deeply stupid thing to make your customers do. I do not know if this counterproductive approach is evident elsewhere in the application, and I do not intend to find out.

Thank you for the trial.

Edited by bblackmoor
v. 22H2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

There is an MSI or EXE installer coming. But until then, you should not be installing using that approach. It may appear to work, but it really doesn't. 

Instead, with some more info about how it failed when you tried to install it properly by just running the MSIX we might be able to help you.

You can also get more info from the FAQ: 

By the way, the 99% figure might be right, as many users might be using it via the MSIX meeting. Only Serif has any detailed info on the user base.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.0..3  and 2.0.3.1670 beta/ Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.3

MSI installers are coming, it's just taking some time. Hopefully they can reset trials and you can try again then.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125%; Monitor 2 @ 150%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

...you should not be installing using that approach. It may appear to work, but it really doesn't.

So it's even worse than I thought it was. Thank you for the additional information.

Edited by bblackmoor

4 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

So it's even worse than I thought it was.

I don't see how you draw that conclusion.

When you don't install it correctly, there are things that will break. Solution: install it correctly.

Again, we can try to help, with more info from you.

Or you can wait until sometime in January when the MSI/EXE installer is available.

-- Walt

Desktop:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 
Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
        Affinity Photo 1.10.6 (.1665) and 2.0..3  and 2.0.3.1670 beta/ Affinity Designer 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 (.1665)  and 2.0.3 and 2.0.3.1670 beta
iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 16.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

Affinity Photo 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Designer 1.10.6 and 2.0.3 / Affinity Publisher 2.0.3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bblackmoor said:

Yes, steps 1 to 4 worked, but it's a deeply stupid thing to make your customers do

They may appear to have worked but they have only partially worked. We don't want or tell you to do this. It's unsupported and will create problems. You have not installed it, and some functions such as update won't work.

Our FAQ forum has a number of suggestions for when you cannot install and this is the main one

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167830-troubleshooting-install-and-uninstall-issues-for-affinity-v2-on-windows-msix/

An alternative EXE/MSI installer will be available when it has passed testing.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

Received a big, beautiful email from Serif today, announcing what I thought was a new version of Affinity. Hooray!

Bought it, downloaded it, and...

image.png.4d2737ba6cf427985a1ef1c2620c1cea.png

I am not interested in whatever excuses you still have for this. Refund request sent.

Yeah, no. Why wouldn't you just install or run or double-click on the file you downloaded? What's with this extracting nonsense people keep talking about? Is it some sort of holy grail to want to extract an msix file and, oh, never mind. Whatever works, I guess, and that def doesn't.

I've been running v2 products on Win11 x64 since they came out. They run beautifully for me, but then, I'm just your average user, without too much technical savvy to want to extract anything.

4 minutes ago, Twolane said:

Why wouldn't you just install or run or double-click on the file you downloaded?

I did precisely that. A better question is why anyone would sell a product that is not an executable or install file.

That was rhetorical. I don't care why they did it.

image.png.a14a113f1adaf792cd1d9137d1eb8ed3.png

• Moderators
On 12/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, bblackmoor said:

but it's a deeply stupid thing to make your customers do.

Nobody is making you do this. It is unsupported and will lead to unexpected problems using the software.

32 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

I am not interested in whatever excuses you still have for this. Refund request sent.

Fair, it has taken much longer than I hoped, sorry.

Unsandboxed 2.0.3 (MSI/EXE) installs are available right now to test here,

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/178419-msi-installer-upadate/#comment-1034570

but the official release will not be until 2.0.4 (that is expected very soon)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bblackmoor said:

A better question is why anyone would sell a product that is not an executable or install file.

It is an install file, and will work on our minimum spec.

And this troubleshooting guide works for most people who have problems

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor What I believe the problem here is, is that you don't realize how widespread the hate for Microsoft Store and everything to do with it actually is, and how many people uninstall it first thing when installing Windows, hence the problems with the .msix installers. (Yes, I'm one of those people, thank you for listening to the community and providing .msi/.exe installers)

I think you're really shooting yourselves in the foot by not having official exe installers before the end of the sale though, the aforementioned people will not have time to try the software before the sale ends, losing you potential sales. I know you've already extended it once, but a second extension might not be a bad idea.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Imonobor said:

I think you're really shooting yourselves in the foot by not having official exe installers before the end of the sale though,

It is incredibly unfortunate. I know we will be accused of doing this deliberately. It's not deliberate but even I think it looks suspicious 🤥 That is why the non official ones are available because I know how much these installs are wanted by those who are waiting.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor I don't think anyone thinks you're doing it deliberately, after all it's you who's losing out, and the fact that you did, after all, make an .exe installer shows that you don't hold any grudge towards us .exe plebs :D

I bought the V2 universal license in order to try out the .exe installers, they work like a charm. Again, thanks for making them and for listening to your community. One more happy customer for you :3

• Moderators

The Unsandboxed (MSI/EXE) Windows installs are now available to all. Sorry this took longer than we expected.

More information here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd