You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you export pixel perfect?

I'd like to create pixel art, especially using Designer's grid system for isometric art made much easier than manually in programs like Aseprite/Libresprite. However, I seem to be struggling with exporting an actual image as anti-aliasing seems to be unremovable; nearest neighbor seems to make no difference. This also produces semi-transparent pixels where two shapes meet when it should just be the two colors; there's no gap between them in vector. Seen below is what I'm getting with the export and the desired effect from Libresprite overlayed. How can I achieve a pixel-perfect export?

image.thumb.png.b72bf40e56e448b3874056949a2e7cda.png

52 minutes ago, HawkwardAlaskan said:

How can I achieve a pixel-perfect export?

First of all, always work in the View > View Mode > Pixel mode.
Next, set Preferences > User Interface > Decimal Places > Pixel (and possibly all others) to 6, so that you always see  when an object size or position is misaligned. 
Next, snapping to full pixels on, move by whole pixels off.
Also helpful is a pixel based grid, and snapping to grid on.

Also: Layers panel > Blend Range cog > Antialiasing > Force Off
That's object based, default being "Inherit". So you may want to place all items to a layer and turn antialiasing off for that parent layer only.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

We really need a way to turn off the bicubic filtering when rasterizing or exporting vector shapes.

I was thinking there could be a workaround by rasterizing the shape at four times your export resolution, then downsizing it using nearest-neighbor. But for some reason, that still introduces some soft pixel edges, even if all points are aligned to the pixel grid of that lower resolution.

1 hour ago, Thane5 said:

Even better news for Affinity 2 users

This was also part of the V1 version.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 hours ago, Thane5 said:

We really need a way to turn off the bicubic filtering when rasterizing or exporting vector shapes.

For Export, simply chose any other resample method, e.g. nearest neighbor. 

For rasterization inside a document, unfortunately there is no choice, workaround is to export and place back into file.

Never the less, you need to choose one - rasterization is not possible without resampling.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Inside a document group, it/them (whatever has the adjusted coverage map) and then rasterize the group 😉.

And how does this give you a choice of resample method? As far as I know, Bilinear is used whenever you rasterize inside a document (except Pixel Art Resize)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

And how does this give you a choice of resample method? As far as I know, Bilinear is used whenever you rasterize inside a document (except Pixel Art Resize)

I'm not sure what you're taking about. The point is to preserve pixel art. In document, anti-aliasing returns when rasterizing an object/text using the coverage map method (as you were alluding to... I think). When rasterizing the group the edges stay crisp and pixel perfect. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I'm not sure what you're taking about. The point is to preserve pixel art. In document, anti-aliasing returns when rasterizing an object/text using the coverage map method (as you were alluding to... I think). When rasterizing the group the edges stay crisp and pixel perfect. 

Well, I was talking about resample methods, as reply to a specific post regarding resampling methods, and you replied to my post with something unrelated about anti-aliasing.

Both factors (resample method and anti-aliasing) impact pixel art exports. Please don’t mix them up.