You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gamut Check discrepancy PS/AP

My monitor is color profiled:

I noticed that when viewing (RGB or ICC) a particular piece of art that there is no gamut issue from within Photoshop. But when viewing the same art doc (RGB or ICC) in AP there is a gamut issue under gamut check. This may be the cause of poor printing results.

It would help to get clearcut directions on successful printing—art in my case.

If I can't get good color fidelity (from screen to printer), then I wasted my money on AP.

Genius is dedication. 

Moab Entrada Bright White 3800.icc

I have yet printed any art with AP to merely waste ink—I would appreciate an explanation from AP on how to get the same quality results with their app, as I do with Photoshop. I would supply any info that you may require. 

Genius is dedication. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Sorry for not replying sooner.

The normal workflow would be to add a Soft Proof Layer and select the desired colour profile to check for colour issues and make any relevant adjustments. You would then go to File > Print > Color Matching > Colorsync and select the same colour profile and print.

However, I’m having similar issues when using Gamut Check with the Moab Entrada Bright White 3800.icc profile when compared to other apps. I will log this with our developers. According to the help the Soft Proof Layer should not be visible when printed or exported but this isn’t the case - I’m going to log this with our developers too.

Regarding the visibility of the softproof layer after export:

In an official affinity tutorial it is mentioned that you can use the soft proof layer to add a certain style to your image, much like a 3D LUT so I think it's deliberate that it's included in the export. You'd have to uncheck it before export.

I'm personally not sure if I like this behaviour, I'm just saying that this might be deliberate.

• Staff

That's what I thought but the help states the following: "However, it does not affect the final print or export of your photo. It is always non-printing and non-exporting. You will need to replicate the options of the soft proof at the print or export stage." :/

Soulartist, Are you certain you are using exactly the same monitor, paper, & printer profiles with AP & PS?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You might find this post by marsofearth of some interest regarding soft proofing & test printing....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7