You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

“Rename” and “Duplicate” option missing

Pollicina

2 minutes ago, Pollicina said:

I realized that the rename/duplicate options are missing in affinity designer v2.

Duplicate is still available by swiping left on the document's tile in Live Docs.

Rename has been removed, I believe as part of an effort to prevent data loss and unexpected results. You can use a combination of Duplicate and Save As to accomplish it.

I suspect this may change further in later updates, but only Serif would know for sure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Duplicate is still available by swiping left on the document's tile in Live Docs.

Rename has been removed, I believe as part of an effort to prevent data loss and unexpected results. You can use a combination of Duplicate and Save As to accomplish it.

I suspect this may change further in later updates, but only Serif would know for sure.

Thanks for explaining me how to duplicate documents, I hope that the “rename” option will be added in later updates.

But in the most current released version of Affinity Photo 2 for iPad's HELP section under SAVING, it clearly shows the swipe left RENAME icon in their thumbnail example at top.

However, what's available to me are the Duplicate / Save / Save As   icon triumpherate.

The RENAME feature in Affinity Photo 1 worked GREAT and was a real workflow time saver—why is Affinity creating more work with a work-around that adds unnecessary time to every project process?

IMG_0145.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

AF P2 HELP for Saving.jpeg

5 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

The RENAME feature in Affinity Photo 1 worked GREAT

Fact is it didn’t work great at all. When you create a document Affinity creates an internal file. When you Save that file, Affinity creates an external file copy that is linked to the internal working copy. If you had saved a document and then renamed that document, only the internal file was/is renamed. So, you ended up with an externally named file having a different name to the same files linked internal file. That's just a recipe for disaster. Edit, Save and then Delete the renamed file in the Home Screen and a differently named file with the same content as the just deleted file, still exists externally. Seems like a rather confusing workflow. No way is that GREAT.🙂

To avoid this situation, Affinity have currently removed the rename function in the current release. I don’t know what their future plans are for this feature but either limit it to renaming unsaved files, or for saved files, have it rename both file versions internal AND external.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

10 hours ago, Pedro Antonioso said:

But in the most current released version of Affinity Photo 2 for iPad's HELP section under SAVING, it clearly shows the swipe left RENAME icon in their thumbnail example at top.

The Help sometimes lags behind the program code, especially given the need to get it translated.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, Pollicina said:

Qualcuno di voi sa cosa significa [M] nel nome del file?

Modified, and not yet Saved.

-- Walt
PC:

I guess I was in the minority...I ONLY renamed Duplicate copies and docs that started as UNTITLED or were blank.

I rarely used the SAVE menu item from A Live Doc's window menu. I'd always open that doc, then use the SAVE A COPY in that file's drop-down DOCUMENT menu for AF Photo Native files, while using EXPORT for all my other formats

The great thing about having that RENAME feature was being able to use it to appropriately label all my "LIVE DOCS" and AF Photo's PROJECT folder windows...I could also copy the names I gave them using the RENAME's field, then cancel, open the doc and paste it into my SAVE A COPY naming field...voilah! No additional typing required.

Speaking of which...the way docs are now previewed in AF Photo 2 PROJECT windows with only the first doc's thumbnail displayed in a center position makes absolutely NO sense. AF Photo 1's PROJECT Folder windows could more sensibly display up to NINE(!) thumbnails with NO problem (see 1st screen shot ). In my 2nd AF Photo screenshot, I have no preview of what my other 5 Docs in this Project are—it's now a guessing game, requiring forcing me to search through Project Folder windows to try and find the one I need to draw from. This "new feature" is clearly a "going backwards" improvement.

All developers are excited about adding new athe as many most asked-for features as they can in updating their apps, as well as making well-considered improvements to their UIs and interfaces. Laying in wait, however, for any developer's eagerness, stubbornness, user-blindness or ego-driven "but I know better" to make it's appearance anywhere throughout this growth and revamp process so as to spring the, "Hey, so what if it ain't broke and works perfectly fine—let's ' fix ' this! " trap, is the Hobnob Improvement Demon—reverting an otherwise perfectly healthy app's functionality into a ' less-than-productive update by possessing it's unwary developer and transforming them into a cool GUI obsessed, meddling coder-on-a-mission ...a decisively sad moment, in deed.

5B716125-6DA1-4E8B-98C1-28D52C14BA54.png

F71B0547-AA85-4026-BE2E-CCEA7D28F71A.jpeg

Edited by Pedro Antonioso
Spelling, grammar corrections

I guess I was in the minority...I ONLY renamed Duplicates and docs that started as UNTITLED or were blank.

I rarely used the SAVE menu item. I'd always open them, then use the SAVE A COPY in that file's drop-down DOCUMENT menu for AF Photo Native files and EXPORT for all my other formats

The great thing about RENAME was being able to use it to identify all my "LIVE DOCS" and AF Photo's PROJECT folder windows...I could also copy the names I gave them using RENAME and then paste them into my SAVE A COPY naming field...voilah! 

Speaking of which...the way docs are now previewed in AF Photo 2 with only the first doc's thumbnail displayed in a center position makes absolutely NO sense. AF Photo 1's PROJECT Folder windows could more sensibly display up to NINE(!) thumbnails with NO problem (see screen shot ). This "new feature" is a "going backwards" improvement.

All developers are excited about adding new and the most asked-for features to their apps, as well as making well-considered improvements to their UIs and interfaces. Laying in wait, however, for any developer's eagerness, stubbornness, user-blindness or ego's  "...but I know better" to make it's appearance anywhere throughout this growth and revamp process to spring the " now warranted-as-a...hey, let's ' fix ' this...so what if it ain't broke and works perfectly fine! " trap, reverting a perfectly healthy app's functionality into a ' wounded and weakened ' version by a now unnecessarly meddling developer. SO more common than 

Edited by Pedro Antonioso
Ignore this one sans screen shots

On 12/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, Pedro Antonioso said:

Laying in wait, however, for any developer's eagerness, stubbornness, user-blindness or ego's  "...but I know better" to make it's appearance anywhere throughout this growth and revamp process to spring the " now warranted-as-a...hey, let's ' fix ' this...so what if it ain't broke and works perfectly fine! " trap,

Yep, I think we’ve seen some of that😁 Sometimes they do listen to users feedback on ui changes (the rubbish bin is a great example). Give them time, they’ll sort it out eventually. It’s still a great product🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, Pollicina said:

nothing new? About “rename”…

No. 

-- Walt
PC: