You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will not start

Wizaerd

I had it installed and it was working ok, but because it didn't offer any installation options (such as installed location), it installed on my C:\, which was running low on drive space.  I used EaseUS Partition Master to allocate additional space to my C:\ drive, and the applications stopped working.  I uninstalled and re-installed, and now they just will not start at all.  Worst installation experience EVER!  Going back to Version 1.10 until these issues with version 2.0 are resolved, and a decent installation is provided.

image.thumb.png.8c75cb848ce8410d5bb0933c59cdc0ba.png

Your screenshot seems to show that you tried to run the app by running the installer again. What happens if you just run it from the Start menu, rather than trying to reinstall it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Your screenshot seems to show that you tried to run the app by running the installer again. What happens if you just run it from the Start menu, rather than trying to reinstall it?

No, it automatically tries to start after installing.  As I said, I had it installed, but uninstalled it.  After it was uninstalled, I re-installed it.  At the end of the installation, it tries to start it and this error appears.  if I attempt to start it from the Start menu or the desktop shortcut, I get the same exact error.

When you run the installer, before hitting the button to start, there's a check (if I remember well) to run it just after installed. You can un-check it (in the hopes it's only that link wrecked).

But it shouldn't crash, anyway. Did you get any clue from the Windows Event Viewer ? (Windows Administrative tools->Events Viewer->Windows events-> Applications Or...right click on Start, click "run" (or window key + R), type eventvwr  and hit enter. Look for the red "!" for any recent crashes). 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

When you run the installer, before hitting the button to start, there's a check (if I remember well) to run it just after installed. You can un-check it (in the hopes it's only that link wrecked).

But it shouldn't crash, anyway. Did you get any clue from the Windows Event Viewer ? (Windows Administrative tools->Events Viewer->Windows events-> Applications Or...right click on Start, click "run" (or window key + R), type eventvwr  and hit enter. Look for the red "!" for any recent crashes). 

Regardless if the installer tries to start it, or I try to start it via the Start Menu or the desktop shortcut, I get the exact same error.  There does not seem to be anything in the event viewer when it does this.

So, it was working at some point; it means your hardware and OS can run it well... It all started once you resized the partition... Maybe some file got corrupted there. I'd first try hitting ctrl while clicking twice (or 3 times) on the Affinity app  icon, to be able to delete all presets and everything. 

If it doesn't work, I would run DISM and SFC, so to try and fix any system file that was wrecked (it does it for you, no knowledge needed).

You need to run CMD with admin rights. To do this, just hit Windows key and R key (or right click on Start icon, and click "run", if  that's easier). Then, in the run field,  type  cmd  and hit ctrl shift enter (keep the 2 other pressed while hitting enter), as that will open a cmd window with admin rights. 

Now in the black cmd window,  type this line and hit enter (or, to copy & paste, copy it here, and just right click at the command prompt in the black window, and hit enter) , and let it do its thing, can be minutes, let it finish :

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Now, at  the same black window, at the command prompt again, run the following command, and don't close the window until it's 100% complete:

sfc /scannow

When these commands do their thing they'll tell you if errors were found, but  in theory, they are as well fixing them.

[   To check the logs of the operation, you can go to  %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log  , where surely windir will be c:\windows, but just paste the line as is in any folder address bar and hit enter, it will open that log file, and you can read and review it to see if there's any clue.  The dism log typically will be in the following path, same thing to open it  C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log    ]

Don't check the logs if don't need it, though, The idea is these two commands should have fixed the stuff. I look at them to see if I can find some "culprit" of the problems.

Now I would check Windows updates, and let it download and install all and every pending Windows update. This is very important for the Affinity apps (and in general). Then I would uninstall the graphic card driver and install again but the newest driver for your card, in case sth of that got wrecked; some file or sth.

Now uninstall the apps (normally it's not needed, but in this case, I don't know, I would do so) and install the new 2.0.3 stable that just got released. Go to Affinity Store ( https://store.serif.com/en-us/sign-in/ ) , log in, go to your order, and look for the download button of this last version. Install the MSIX file by just double clicking it, like before. Try not to cancel it in the middle or something like that (just in case).

Hopefully then it will go well.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

My system is fine, no other errors. I've run every scan known to man, and a few unknown ones too. Every other application I have works fine, and I have many applications. Only these new affinity apps fail. I re-installed 1.10 and they work flawlessly. I'm done with version 2 until they offer an installation other than the MSIX. One that allows the user to pick an installation location, and be in control of our own systems.