You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

when is Affinity After Effects coming!

you guys made the market for creative software really rock!!!

and I am telling everybody proudly that I have made the switch from Adobe to Serif!!!

over 25 years of intensive professional use and after the silly change to the Creative Cloud ... I am almost free from the Adobe machine and that feels so good!

just one more thing is missing in the Serif collection: an alternative to replace After Effects!

and I guarantee you guys if you'll manage to get that one as excellent as Affinity Photo and Designer ... there will be another big wave of switcher's be rolling in!!!

are they any plans for an "Affinity After Effects"?

• Staff

Hi C.biz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums and thanks for your words :)

There was a couple requests for other creative apps already. From our FAQ:

Do you plan to have Web site design/Digital Asset Management/animation/video editing products too?

We’re not sure yet! We will definitely get the first three products out the way over the next 12 months first before we start looking at other possibilities.

So, besides Affinity Publisher (the third application referred above), we already announced plans for a new DAM (Digital Assets Managements) software and iOS versions of Designer and Photo.

There's no details available regarding other possible apps yet.

THX @MEB for the information!

I am sure that you have many requests for more applications after the great success with Affinity Photo and Design!

my post was just very egoistic and I'll keep my hopes high that one day you will make it happen!

I'm not usually responding to these topics cause I don't see this happening anytime soon.

But video editing is really lacking some stuff.

Nowadays most things are edited corresponding to the beat of music and there is not much on the market that is better than using markers and snap to them.

And even if there was it would shure enough be another 100€ like the corrnelt motion tracking stuff.

Some automated way to make those cuts (also very fast flickering, non linear variations of the speed) are not really great yet.

But the pricing of FCPX + corrnelt + compressor + color finale is about 650+ so that's why I also doubt that affinity can do it soon.

And there is a Linux project called pitivi and although their progress is somewhat slow; it's progressing and their roadmap looks pretty much like the current FCPX features so that's the third reason why I think another new paid software is not the next innovative thing. (Obviously there are other editors as well but I don't think they're as good, although you should take a look at vid.stab and transcode)

I'm happy if affinity can prove us wrong some day and I'd probably use their software but I think a video editor will not happen anytime soon by which I mean not before 2018/19.

My goodness. After working with Adobe products since AI 5 and PS 4, I bought my Affinity Designer (AfDes ;)) and I can't stop thinking how the developers were in my head! I'm trying out AfPho and I am already impressed and that was for web images. I can't wait to get my DSLR going.

I am definitely getting AfPub because there is a PDF/X workflow we need.

+ 1 for something to replace After Effects/Animate CC. I doodle in Cinema4D and I need to be free of Adobe.

Please?  :D

Hi C.biz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums and thanks for your words :)

There was a couple requests for other creative apps already. From our FAQ:

Do you plan to have Web site design/Digital Asset Management/animation/video editing products too?

We’re not sure yet! We will definitely get the first three products out the way over the next 12 months first before we start looking at other possibilities.

So, besides Affinity Publisher (the third application referred above), we already announced a new DAM (Digital Assets Managements) software and iOS versions of Designer and Photo.

There's no details available regarding other possible apps yet.

What is the timeframe of the DAM?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

@RNKLN ... Apple Motion is a good package ... if you want to do the 1st steps in Motion Design or use it in combination with FCP.

but After Effects is the one that most professionals use in their workflow and it is (at the moment) the industry standard!

I am aware that 99% of my colleagues would change that tomorrow ... just to escape Adobe's claws (and obviously: the industry standard would change too)!

I underline that money is a concern in Adobe's politics ... but what bugs me the most: the day I'll stop paying, I am not able to open my work anymore that I created in endless hours!

and again my colleagues think the same way but at the moment their is no alternative which would allow to easily make the switch like you guys here at Serif made it easy with Photo and Designer!

and that is important to make you  right away comfortable inside a new software because there is no time to learn a new one that uses a different concept/approach like "node based" for example. 

so ... make it happen ... and you would make a ton of people even happier!

I just wandered into Affinity "Land" (installed both AD & AP) and from the sheer quality of the software I'd give an upvote to any new idea these guys come up with (also because managing even private pictures is something that urgently needs new ideas).

Oh, and if you want someone to test it, give it to me - I've been breaking things for decades  :D

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 6 months later...

I'm so glad there's finally a viable alternative to Adobe's shockingly awful UI.

I use After Effects all the time for motion graphics, it is riddled with bugs, it's unstable, and the performance is an absolute joke.

I'm sure if motion graphics software got the Affinity treatment you'd see a mass exodus of wizened AE prisoners coming your way, please consider it!

Going to buy Affinity Designer immediately and hopefully will never have to open PhotoShit or IllFrustrator ever again.

+1 indeed to an Affinity video compositing package. Like many here, I have used Adobe for the past decade-and-a-half, and am so freaking eager to get off their horrible membership program. While After Effects is still the best for doing mobile app demo animations (GFX, or motion graphics reels), I am increasingly using Nuke to do this, which is a VFX (special effects) program par excellence and not exactly GFX.

But an Affinity video compositing app that is both timeline-based and node-based, oriented towards GFX work and light-VFX stuff would be amazing. There's definitely a market there.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

I would also love to have option for Adobe After effects - Affinity Effects/Motion, and Affinity Premiere/Film, even Affinity Audition/Sound :)
Maybe after 5-10 years we will have Affinity Creative Suite for video production which will replace Adobe softwares :)
You can always dream from better future... I hope best for serif... Hope they will get their softwares ready and then think these options.

If Affinity "After Effects" will be developed, I hope it will have layer based workflow and also node based workflow, for node based editing I would like to suggest this idea for UI (especially thought for touch screens) - nodes could have priority based on the size of nodes (like bigger "bubble" will have more control), or it could affect for amount of transparency/opacity, maybe even stretching the bubble/node could affect differently: circle -> horizontal ellipse and vertical ellipse would have different effects (don't know about this, it could be too confusing/hard use). 

Also some advanced path drawing through nodes would be welcome, like this way (14sec): 

If it is possible, it would be nice to have some of the Disney's technology inside vfx/motiongraphics software (sure this might be too expensive license and integrate): 
# https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/ducttake-seam-based-video-compositing/
https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/phase-based-modification-transfer/
https://youtu.be/3eJCX9x-w_g
# https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/scenespace/
https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/green-screen/
https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/pathspace-decomposition/
# https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/online-view-sampling/
# https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/panoramic-video-from-unstructured-camera-arrays/
# https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/key-frame-based-scribble-propagation/
https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/bvs/
https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/davis/

I know this is too much asked but cool technology anyway :)

Edit:
So for mobile version: Touch screen friendly user interface where nodes would be circles and bigger/larger circle would mean higher priority or opacity or other value. Stretching the node to vertical / horizontal ellipse would also mean other feature. The size of circle would visualize the value of node's feature, the ratio aspect would visualize other feature (like: subtractive and additive blending).

I hope it will have layer based workflow and also node based workflow

I would love to see same idea in Affinity Photo and Design too.   For example for layer linking, live effects , filters etc. 

Never understood why it's always should be either layers or nodes and not both

• 3 years later...

Hey guys!

Affinity crew, congratulations on winning the 2019 app of the year from Apple! Publisher is an incredible achievement, you guys rock!

It's been about three years since this discussion of "Affinity After Effects"... any update on whether or not this is a possibility? Of all the creative apps you could make, I think this one would see new clients flocking to you in droves. 

Cheers,

Cyan

• 1 year later...

As a Motion Designer who is desperately waiting for an alternative to After Effects for years now, I would be happy to see Serif to come up with one. I know that many Motion Designers would appreciate it and participate in development. After Effects lost track for a long time and because of being the only one on the vector based animation market it has gotten lazy.
Maybe have a talk with the development department of "Natron Compositor" who have already achieved a lot when it comes to the compositing tools

My suggestions:
- Open Color Management
- 32bit Workflow
- Nodebased Workflow and Timeline based Workflow
- An open scripting environment to let the community write additional effects and scripts. Python or Javascript i.e. like Blender or Nuke
- Maybe but only maybe :) a 3D-environment instead of 2.5D like in After Effects. But I would even accept if that wasn't part of it. The main aspect is more important.
- Connection to Blender
- EXR capability
- Cryptomatte capability
- The vector possibilies like in after effects. The form layer is great tool for 2d animations. Not everything is bad in After Effects :)
- MP4 and GIF export. Adobe threw that out.
- And internal ffmpeg functionality

So in general as I experience our market there is a demand for an alternative to After effects.

Konst