You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One of my projects decided to render outside the boundaries

In Designer 1.10.6, one of my projects, a 3000x3000 square in RGB-8 which I intend to use to make a new logo for myself, suddenly gained this weird grey border around the edges of the frame, as seen in the first attached image, and the line is always exactly 1 pixel thick. In the same project, the background, which is the exact right size, positioned perfectly, and SHOULD have no gaps, needs to be 1 pixel too wide and 1 pixel too tall to actually render no gaps in pixel rendering mode. Strangely, this border I can't interact with started appearing on new project files I opened with Designer 1.10.6, before I relaunched the app. On the particular file this happened to, I discovered that Designer has decided it wants to render objects outside the area that would get exported into an image, as seen in the second attached image. What did I do? Toggling bleed, guides, margins and column guides doesn't do anything on any project file. I don't know what I did. Fortunately the exporting works as it should, but this was very strange.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 12.45.28.png

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 12.57.34.png

I am just guessing here. I think that what you are seeing is the edge of the canvas. The 3000 x 3000 square.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Could you upload one of the actual files?

What exactly are the images showing, a screenshot of Designer open?

The file shows kind of gradient. Do you use blur filters or layer fx to blur?

We would definitely need more input about all relevant details:

• Performance settings
  • OS and GPU
  • If Mac: which exact model, which display
  • Screenshots including thumbnails from panels:
    • navigator
    • channels (In case of Photo)
    • Histogram
    • transform panel

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault, the first image is cropped to show the canvas with the border on it. Anything surrounding it is not supposed to render. The second one is cropped similarly, showing the border, the edge of which is where the rendering should be trimmed off, with a large rectangle rendering outside of the area that gets exported. I've attached a screenshot of most of the interface to this reply. The rectangle I've placed there can be seen in the grey bit, extending past the sides of what should be visible.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 18.58.26.png

Ok, can you try to disable Metal Compute, and if this don’t help set Display to Software / WARP?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 minute ago, NotMyFault said:

Ok, can you try to disable Metal Compute, and if this don’t help set Display to Software / WARP?

Disabling Metal didn't do anything. Neither did setting display to software. This only happens in one file, after all.

Did you set a bleed in File->Setup? This will shows as 1 px thin blue line around the canvas.

41 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Could you upload one of the actual files?

this would really help!

Just now, NotMyFault said:

Did you set a bleed in File->Setup? This will shows as 1 px thin blue line around the canvas.

The bleed settings ate all 0px off each side and the colour is purple. I have never touched these. Changing the px values doesn't make anything change, so I don't know what this is supposed to do.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 19.34.16.png

@El Has, as far as I can tell that line is the border of the canvas. As for things showing outside it go to View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas and select that so there is a checkmark in the menu.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

A visual backup to Bruce's "on the nail" post, The canvas boundary is displayed to help you know when objects are outside of the afore mentioned boundary. and "Clip to Canvas" is set to off. You probably just clicked on the Backslash key '\' by accident, if you have a cat, blame him/her else confess all and we will absolve you of all Affinity sin lol!

Off

1656488142_Screenshot2022-12-24at08_15_03.thumb.png.7b735338ad819fd5899c62a5c2556d56.png

On

1818279817_Screenshot2022-12-24at08_16_42.thumb.png.c326920b48d77e14fdce469db25fa811.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...