You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100% Crash Affinity Photo after update to version 2.0.3. // Gradient tool

CHKR

I worked on a project in photo V2. Took a break and updated to version 2.0.3. after. 

After the update the program crashes every time I do a certain thing:

- artistic text tool --> enter text
- gradient tool --> bitmap
- choose a pic --> change/rotate to my liking
- click somewhere --> CRASH ... 100%

Every time. Happens in a new file with a different font, different pic, etc...also. 

I'm on the latest Win10. (edited typo from Win11)
Hardware acc. doesn't do anything to that crash.
I expect it not to crash...
The only unusual hardware I have connected atm is an external soundcard. But I would not know how that should affect the gradient tool crash.
In version 2.0.0. it worked like a charm without crashing!!

The only thing that I changed from before and after my break was the update from V2.0.0 to V2.0.3 in all three apps (pub/des/pho).

Hope to get a solution soon!
Thx for reading!

Edited by CHKR

I had a few crashes yesterday in Photo, a simple file, just a few layers. Selecting color, painting on a mask, etc made Photo 2.0.3 crash.

Today I uninstalled everything and cleaned all traces of Affinity. Reinstalled everything and since then.... no problem so far.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

36 minutes ago, andersp5 said:

Just tried this on V2.0.3 but with Windows 10 and it worked without crashing. Could it be windows 11?

Ah man sry, I indeed have Windows 10. Must've accidentally typed eleven instead of ten...
I edited that in the OP.

Update:
So the crash ONLY occurs, when I change size/rotate the image inside of the letters, and THEN click somewhere in the background. If I leave it like it was --> no crash.
If I click somewhere on the toolbar, etc.. --> no crash. Just the background/actual workspace (in and outside of the image).

I can confirm it also, too.. :)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Crashes here too repeating the above steps.

I had a few crashes like that yesterday doing some other operations on a simple file.

Crash Report attached.

1a60fae9-be40-4cdc-95c8-d9b0c2ecfd03.dmp

Here is the Event error log in Windows in case it might help:

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Affinity.FillBaseTarget.GetScaleWithObject(Kernel.Counted<Tool>*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ScaleWithObjectContextBarItem.Update(Boolean)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ContextBarManager.UpdateItems(Boolean)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.DocumentDefaultsChangedNotificationHandler.Invoke(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.DocumentDefaultsChangedNotificationEventArgs)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnDocumentDefaultsChangedNotification(Serif.Interop.Persona.NativeWrapper<Kernel::NonCounted<Kernel::Notification> >)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.HandleNotification(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*, Boolean)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnNotify(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*)
   at <Module>.GetNotificationDispatch.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>.()()(?GetNotificationDispatch@@$$FYA?AV?$function@$$A6AXXZ@std@@V?$Counted@VNotification@Kernel@@@Kernel@@@Z.__l2.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>*)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I am.

It only happens when I click on the page while having the Gradient Tool selected. If I select the Move tool and do something else it does not crash. But as soon a I come back to the Gradient tool and click on the page.... Bye Bye Photo.

-- Macbook Air 15"

22 hours ago, Pauls said:

are you all on windows insider builds ?

No, I'm not.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD