You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2.0.3 Books - big problem

Hello,

with the new books module there is big problem. When an added chapter is opened for viewing and then closed or changed and saved, nothing can be done with the module anymore. Save book, add chapter, change - nothing is possible anymore. Everything is frozen. 

With this problem it is very difficult to work with it. For changes the book must be closed, then the chapter to be changed must be loaded, changed and saved. Then open the book again. Then it works, which is very cumbersome.

As long as no chapter is closed or changed the module seems to work

System: Windows 10, 32Gb Ram, Hardware acceleration active, Allocated memory 28Gb.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I believe I am having the same or a closely related problem.  Upgraded to 2.0.3, created a new book, made copies of a V1 document, cut them into disjoint pieces and saved them as book chapters, added them to the book.  That all looked OK.  Trying to close a chapter (from File menu) did not make the chapter window go away.  Subsequently trying to close the chapter (from book context menus) also did not work.  Forcibly closing the window appeared to work, but then reopening the chapter document got a "Recovery file exists, do you want to use it?" prompt.  Selecting "no" opened the chapter document in read-only mode.  In the Book panel, the chapters were all marked as still "Open for editing".

When I got to that point, I tried exiting AppPub2 and it's been stalled for minutes now, with the rotating progress indicator.

Windows 10 Pro, AffPub 2.0.3.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using that build we believe this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick ConnorI really regret to say that AffPub 2.0.4 is still giving me problems with the book feature, although the hangs are gone.  I tried the previous exercise: Convert v1 document to v2.  Chop v2 document into several separate documents and save them independently.  Add the several new documents to a new book.  When I go to the book hamburger menu and try to Save Book As ..., it simply doesn't save.  No discernable error message.   I can now close the chapter windows without trouble, but when I go to reopen any of them, I get the recovery file dialog prompt.  When I go to the book hamburger menu and try to Close Book, it tells me the book's been modified, do I want to save, say yes, and again it doesn't save.

I quit AffPub, started a new book, and immediately tried Save Book As... .  That worked.  I added my chapter documents to the book and tried Save Book.  Quit AffPub, and tried reopening the book.  Chapters are there, and I can open them without the recovery file dialog.  So there seems to be a problem adding chapters to a not-yet-saved new book.

With the successfully constructed book, I tried Close Open Chapters.  That removed the document windows but left the entries in the Books panel marked as open for editing.  When I then tried Close Book, I was prompted that the book has been modified and would I like to save my changes.  If I respond "Yes", the book stays in the Books panel.  Another attempt to Close Book just gives the same prompt.  Responding "No" also leaves the book in the Books panel.  I would have expected that to work.

Quit AffPub (I get the unsaved book prompt, and respond "No" and app does close), relaunch AffPub, open the book.  Chapter statuses were initially "OK" and then quickly transition to "Out of Date".  Before doing anything else, try to Save Book but that command is disabled (greyed out) in the hamburger menu.  Opened the out of date chapters, (statuses transition to "Open for edit".  Try to Close Open Chapters, document windows close, but chapter statuses remain Open for edit.  Reopen chapters.  Try to make small edit, but cannot plant text cursor in text frames.  Also, the Layers pane is strangely unresponsive (can expand Master row, but not frame text rows, no selection highlighting).  Document windows do not have [Read only] tag.

At this point, I am pulling my beard hairs out with frustration again.  I would be very happy to supply my test V2 chapter and book files, if that would be of any service.

• Staff

I will get this thread addressed again next week, sorry @sfriedberg

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello,
the problem persists with version 2.0.4, as already described by me and sfriedberg. No improvement. The function is still useless or can only be used with a great deal of effort.

Why is the bug in this important module, which was advertised as a top feature, not fixed?

We use Affinity Publicher in our publishing house and are waiting for this problem to be solved so that we can optimally edit large reference books in groups.

VG Waveknigh

• Staff
36 minutes ago, Waveknight said:

Why is the bug in this important module, which was advertised as a top feature, not fixed?

Because most people suffering from it are unwilling or unable to share their book with us to replicate the problems. The offer to investigate then delete the files is rarely taken up unfortunately 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Thanks I'll get that sorted 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

So we have a recipe and a potential fix for this already. As I understand the next major beta will resolve this issue. If you still encounter it in that beta please tag me and I'll get your files to investigate further.

Apologies for the inconvenience, it is a bit of a hard bug to workaround.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2023 at 1:32 AM, sfriedberg said:

@Patrick ConnorI really regret to say that AffPub 2.0.4 is still giving me problems with the book feature, although the hangs are gone.  I tried the previous exercise: Convert v1 document to v2.  Chop v2 document into several separate documents and save them independently.  Add the several new documents to a new book.  When I go to the book hamburger menu and try to Save Book As ..., it simply doesn't save.  No discernable error message.   I can now close the chapter windows without trouble, but when I go to reopen any of them, I get the recovery file dialog prompt.  When I go to the book hamburger menu and try to Close Book, it tells me the book's been modified, do I want to save, say yes, and again it doesn't save.

I quit AffPub, started a new book, and immediately tried Save Book As... .  That worked.  I added my chapter documents to the book and tried Save Book.  Quit AffPub, and tried reopening the book.  Chapters are there, and I can open them without the recovery file dialog.  So there seems to be a problem adding chapters to a not-yet-saved new book.

With the successfully constructed book, I tried Close Open Chapters.  That removed the document windows but left the entries in the Books panel marked as open for editing.  When I then tried Close Book, I was prompted that the book has been modified and would I like to save my changes.  If I respond "Yes", the book stays in the Books panel.  Another attempt to Close Book just gives the same prompt.  Responding "No" also leaves the book in the Books panel.  I would have expected that to work.

Quit AffPub (I get the unsaved book prompt, and respond "No" and app does close), relaunch AffPub, open the book.  Chapter statuses were initially "OK" and then quickly transition to "Out of Date".  Before doing anything else, try to Save Book but that command is disabled (greyed out) in the hamburger menu.  Opened the out of date chapters, (statuses transition to "Open for edit".  Try to Close Open Chapters, document windows close, but chapter statuses remain Open for edit.  Reopen chapters.  Try to make small edit, but cannot plant text cursor in text frames.  Also, the Layers pane is strangely unresponsive (can expand Master row, but not frame text rows, no selection highlighting).  Document windows do not have [Read only] tag.

At this point, I am pulling my beard hairs out with frustration again.  I would be very happy to supply my test V2 chapter and book files, if that would be of any service. 

In fact, it's very inconvenient when problems of this nature arise with books. It is important for me that everything works accurately and that each chapter opens normally and without freezes. Moreover, for me, I have books not only that I read at my leisure, but also books for college. And lately, there are a lot of them, as well as tasks  https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/college/ It's great that there are sources that I can always refer to for inspiration and fresh ideas. Examples of papers about the college have become relevant for me in the preparation of several articles on this topic.

I'm also having problems with the book function. But reloading and splitting the document didn't help either. I think that the matter is in the format and therefore I tried to reformat it.