You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show pixel layer DPI in transform panel

Please make pixel layer DPI visible in transform panel, and allow to reset DPI to document DPI.

Similar to size and DPI preview of image layers - which is shown below the toolbar.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 16.23.49.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 months later...

A double-click on one of the four diagonal handle points to reset DPI to document DPI would be nice too.

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers
Affinity Suite V2 latest official versions

The placed DPI of the pixel layer is already shown on the context toolbar when the move tool is selected.

To snap it back to document resolution, you can right-click on it and choose Convert to Image Resource to convert the pixel layer to an image layer, then use the "Original Size" button in the popup that shows up on the context toolbar.  Rasterize (if needed) to convert it back to a pixel layer afterward.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:24 PM, NotMyFault said:

make pixel layer DPI visible in transform panel, and allow to reset DPI to document DPI

+300!

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

To snap it back to document resolution, you can […]

… do this without converting anything:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

… do this without converting anything:

Nice.

Unfortunately you may have layer sizes where multiple values will give a rounded DPI value of 300, and you never know which is the exact value.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Unfortunately you may have layer sizes where multiple values will give a rounded DPI value of 300, and you never know which is the exact value.

I don't understand.

In my method, first I reset any transformations to the original proportions by double-clicking the corresponding handles.
Then I link W&H and scale up or down until I reach the original DPI.
Since pixel layers should have originally had integer pixel dimensions (at least I would definitely expect that!), there shouldn't be any fractional and thus rounded DPI value. And even if it were, it doesn't matter because having integer pixel dimensions and position is the major key to happiness here…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

27 minutes ago, loukash said:

because having integer pixel dimensions and position is the major key to happiness here…

In your method you are looking for the DPI in the status bar to be the same DPI as the document, but the value is rounded (as are the numbers in the transform panel).  For example, I have a document I was just playing with which is set up as 72 DPI, and I can easily find two different height values which both show integer position and size (on both dimensions) in the transform panel and are both showing 72 DPI in the context toolbar.

In order to ensure a 1:1 match with the document resolution, you can't rely on that method.

18 minutes ago, fde101 said:

the value is rounded (as are the numbers in the transform panel)

My values in the Transform panel are never rounded because I strictly use "decimal places = 6". For a reason.
Besides, changing values in the Transform panel by (shift-)arrow-up/down will always use integer values.
And having "Force Pixel Alignment" active is a must anyway.

In order to ensure a 1:1 match with the document resolution, you can't rely on that method.

The initial dimensions and position of a "Pixel" type layer will always be integer pixels and it will match document DPI. Even after you have rasterized a scaled "Image" type layer that had fractional dimensions and position. (Of course, you'll then also end up with a 1-pixel antialias "halo" around your rasterized image, but that's a different story.)

For example, I have a document I was just playing with which is set up as 72 DPI, and I can easily find two different height values which both show integer position and size (on both dimensions) in the transform panel and are both showing 72 DPI in the context toolbar.

Please upload. :) 

25 minutes ago, fde101 said:

a document I was just playing with which is set up as 72 DPI, and I can easily find two different height values which both show integer position and size (on both dimensions) in the transform panel and are both showing 72 DPI in the context toolbar.

Ah, now I think I understand what you mean. Yes, it may not work reliably at low document DPI in some "constellations". (Need to check that out but no time today anymore.)

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

Need to check that out

Alright, so e.g. a 1920×1080 pixel layer at 72 DPI can be scaled down to 1904×1071 integer pixels and still display "72 DPI". That's bad.

Solution:

1. temporarily change the document resolution to e.g. 600 DPI without resampling
  2. scale via my method until it matches 600 DPI
  3. change back to 72 DPI without resampling

27 minutes ago, loukash said:

Solution:

The method I outlined above does it in 4 clicks, or 6 if you need to keep it as a pixel layer, and works regardless of document resolution or display rounding precision.

The method you outlined here requires about as many clicks just for step 1, and for step 3 for those who need it, plus you may to check what that resolution is even to know if you don't need it.

In the end, the request for a more direct "reset" feature is not a bad one, particularly as one is already provided for image layers, but workarounds do exist in the meantime.

Sorry, but this method does only work in simple cases, but not in general. I tried the same and scrapped it finally. 

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

The placed DPI of the pixel layer is already shown on the context toolbar when the move tool is selected.

To snap it back to document resolution, you can right-click on it and choose Convert to Image Resource to convert the pixel layer to an image layer, then use the "Original Size" button in the popup that shows up on the context toolbar.  Rasterize (if needed) to convert it back to a pixel layer afterward.

This is a nice workaround, unfortunately only on desktop. Not available on iPad.

30 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Not available on iPad.

On the iPad there is a different way to do this.

First, double-tap a side handle (not corner) to reset the aspect ratio of the object.

Then, in the Transform fly-out, tap the little ruler thing underneath the lock icon for the dimensions to cycle among the document units, DPI, and percentage.  On the percentage setting, make sure the lock is enabled, then tap one of them and enter 100% to match the layer to the document resolution.

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

On the iPad there is a different way to do this.

First, double-tap a side handle (not corner) to reset the aspect ratio of the object.

Then, in the Transform fly-out, tap the little ruler thing underneath the lock icon for the dimensions to cycle among the document units, DPI, and percentage.  On the percentage setting, make sure the lock is enabled, then tap one of them and enter 100% to match the layer to the document resolution.

Ah I missed this new function in V2. Great.

Unfortunately Affinity unearthed the old bug: entering 0% will kill the object. 

8 hours ago, fde101 said:

Yes, it does behave rather badly if you do that.

You can get it back with undo, at least.

I did this of course, and directly stumbled into the next UI bug - which led me to repeat  undo several times as in my test case the undo operation was not visible in canvas, and the transform panel did not update after undo.