You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool Affinity photo

I and some others have been requesting serious upgrading of the crop tool since beta. You said that the latest version (1.41) would be improved, but nothing has really been changed.

It needs a complete overhaul with the understanding of what is necessary, Please, please, study the Photoshop crop tool (in depth).

I can give an example. I crop Head shots a lot that need to be 190 x 190 px at 72dpi RGB. My sources can vary, example: 1000 x1000px image at 300 dpi CYMK.

I should be able to crop around the head to that size EVEN when I alter the dimension - Currently if I change the size to fit around the head - it alters the crop size so it is no longer 190 x190px (at least I can find no way that works as it should)

In the case of a large file higher than 72dpi the 190 x190 crop ratio would be a postage stamp size on the photo so trying to alter the crop size by dragging the dimension doesn't help - it should stay at the 190x190 size always.

In photoshop - I set the size and dpi on the crop tool, save the preset and can use that on any photo with the ability to move the crop (dimensions) around the headshot keeping that dimension at that dpi.

Hope this was clear - thanks.

I'm on board with improvements to the crop settings. I've mentioned it in other threads--the ability to resample and crop at the same time is extremely helpful to workflow.

singlesparq--you can save settings in AP 1.4.1. First select the type of crop (eg ratio, absolute), then type in your numbers (with units if it is absolute). Then, select Add Preset from the drop down. The distinction between ratio and absolute is a little tricky in 1.4.1--ratio will constrain proportions, but absolute will not. I agree that this is not adequate--a constrained pixel dimension should stay constrained.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur, you need to fix / update the cropping feature with AP! Just look at PS and every RAW processor. Took me a nano second in Capture One and PS, to see how  an 11x14 crop looks, it shouldn't take 20 comments on your forum with still no solid resolve. Please do nor over engineer something that should be do fundamental! You need details...really?

• Staff

I concur, you need to fix / update the cropping feature with AP! Just look at PS and every RAW processor. Took me a nano second in Capture One and PS, to see how  an 11x14 crop looks, it shouldn't take 20 comments on your forum with still no solid resolve. Please do nor over engineer something that should be do fundamental! You need details...really?

I don't understand. You achieve a 11x14 ratio crop exactly the same in Affinity as you do in Photoshop. Am I missing something?

When I am doing a crop preview, i.e. to see what the image will look like via  a certain aspect ratio the entire grid overlaps the image, when I try to change the crop to fit the image to fit the image it changes the aspect ratio / size.

This has never happened with Capture One or PS, or numerous other programs I have tried. No matter what size, dpi, etc, my image is those programs always show the correct aspect ratio. I encourage you to try them side by side.

post-25604-0-46983300-1455719172_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind me adding my 2c here--the first frustration with the crop tool is when an "Absolute" ratio is entered. There is no opportunity to input dpi, and while that may be fine, it may result in a crop box that is nowhere near the size needed, especially if linear units are used. The second frustration with the "Absolute" setting is that the crop area doesn't stay constrained when one of the handles is dragged. Absolute should be, well, absolute. It is not intuitive to resize the crop box if absolute measurements were input to the top bar. It should be locked at the absolute size, whether that is some linear measurement at native dpi, or pixels or whatever.

The 3rd frustration, and this is more of a "nice to have because we got used to it in PS", would be if we COULD put dpi in the top bar, that would allow us to crop and resample at the same time. Here is an opportunity to be better than PS for cropping--you can put a dropdown selection for the different resampling algorithms in the crop tool top bar. That way if people elect to crop and resample, they can control the outcome.

• 1 month later...

please put some time into the crop tool. 

I just can't find a way to use Affinity to formate my images for use online. Having a fixed ratio is great, but it becomes useless if you can't drag / expand the ratio to work with the image being edited. The custom ration can be moved / expanded and stay fixed, but having to enter the numbers every time is tiresome.

You don't have to 'just study photoshop', but photoshop has so many features available in the crop because it's utilised by all photoshop users, print, web, design, artists....